General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter change - 2011 camry se 4 cyl

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

I understand these days that 3K is too soon even with mineral oil with modern oils, engines, and filters.

However in talking to a few engine rebuilders who know this or that make of older engine extremely well they state 3K oil changes was what allowed that model to make it to its full life.

In the old days it was always a good idea to do the first change sooner rather then later. There has got to some debris kicking around as a result of the manufacturing process and break in period.

Synthetic at one time was claimed to have extremely long operational lives, this has since been toned down.

10K may be just fine, but oil and a filter is cheap enough. 5K seems a good compromise, some will state this is too soon but it's your car after all.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:47 PM

i got a new socket wrench for filter. says type F? fits on filter housing snugly but is not tight enough so it spins. yes it is stamped steel. what type socket did you get? cast aluminum? why are there large ears/tabs on filter body? sure looks like it would work well with a properly designed filter socket?

Old 05-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator
Old 05-09-2011, 07:17 AM

yes. 64mm. pics show socket attached to filter canister so its a bit misleading. found a store that has a commercial line of stuff and they have a listing for a toyota 64mm socket. special order but it sounds right. i got the stamped steel socket there last fall and somehow got my filter off. but now it only spins. hope the new socket works better.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:45 AM

The "Asenmacher" Housing Socket worked very well for me....

Old 05-10-2011, 03:05 PM

picked up new cast aluminum socket. took back old cheap stamped steel socket. went to dealer to get filter cartridge. parts guy got filter housing and we checked the fit of socket. very nice and tight. the dealer socket is heavy cast steel. chrome plated too. not an exact copy but looks ok. looks like asenmacher part.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:28 PM

filter came right off with new wrench. seems my large o-ring was not in groove. notice filter box shows correct location of big o-ring. never had a drop of leakage. socket was a pain to get off filter housing. pushed it on a little too far. no way to pry it off. tapped a little each side and it finally loosened.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest using a torque wrench for installation to save a repeat issue.

There may be a tube that goes down from engine into the filter, make sure it was not damaged and broke off.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:48 AM

i could not get the filter wrench off the filter housing. housing unscrewed from engine just fine. so i took off housing. made sure filter wrench was only loosely pushed onto housing and reinstalled. made sure filter socket was still loose or wiggled a bit as i tightened filter housing. than wrench popped off fine.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:52 AM

I also own brand new 2011 Camry, and i had bought it just one month back. Even, I was planning to carry out the oil change procedure on myself. And, this forum has provided all the information that is needed to carry out the process. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Oil filter change - 2011 camry se 4 cyl