General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter is dry

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 01:20 AM
Default Oil filter is dry

I have an 88 camry, 4 cyl. 5 speed. I just changed the oil as I usually do every 3K miles and discovered something weird I've never seen before. When I removed the oil filter, it was dry. It looked like a new filter with no sign of oil in it. I haven't noticed anything unusual since my last oil change. Anyone have any insight into this?

Old 04-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

The oil needs to go through the filter or at least the bypass valve inside to get to the engine components. Otherwise engine damage will happen.

Suggest you place the filter flat on something with the hole facing up. The oil inside the filter will start to accumulate at the bottom of the filter. You should be able to see this.

If no oil cut the can cover open (the can part) at the seam where it attaches to the plate that screws onto the car. The can is sheet metal. Once open examine the filter for signs of oil.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:52 PM

There was definitely no accumulation of oil. Typically, when you take the filter off, oil runs out as you're removing it because the filter is tipped down. It does seem to be bypassing though, especially if you consider that it has been running this way for the last 3k miles. My question is, what would cause the oil to bypass the filter?

Old 04-05-2009, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by 88_os
what would cause the oil to bypass the filter?
Weak (or none) by-pass spring, plugged filter media. You could have defective filter. Also the anti-drain back valve may have leaked oil back into pan so it just looks like filter has no oil. What brand filter? Typically my filter does not leak when I change it. Oil is trapped inside filter due to anti-drainback. Or just drains out center hole(filtered oil to engine) to engine. Have you cut the filter open?

Old 04-05-2009, 06:52 PM

After closer inspection, I found a little residual oil in the bottom of the filter. This filter is a Fram Tough Guard, and I don't think I've used this kind before. Like I mentioned, in every other oil change, oil drains out from filter as I remove it. Perhaps it doesn't with this type of filter, and that's what threw me off......

Old 04-06-2009, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by 88_os
Like I mentioned, in every other oil change, oil drains out from filter as I remove it.
How quickly do you remove the filter after you shut the engine off? I don't think there is any problem, although Fram is not a favorite filter. If this oil change you let the car sit for some time oil would leak back into engine. Like I said, I let my vehicle sit for quite a while before doing the oil change and I have never had oil run out of filter, which is a Pure1.