General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Leak 2007 Camry~ VVT Line Ruptured

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:51 AM

There is a TSB on this. EG038-06 - Copied and pasted from the actual TSB:
Page 1 of 2
EG038-06
Title:
2GR-FE (V6) ENGINE OIL LEAK
Models:
’05 – ’06 Avalon & ’07 Camry (V6)
Technical Service
BULLETIN
June 19, 2006
TSB REVISION NOTICE:
��
October 9, 2006: Production Change Information has been added. The Applicable
Warranty has been updated in the Warranty Information table.
Previous versions of this TSB should be discarded.

Some 2GR–FE engines may display evidence of a small oil leak, located on the rear side
of Bank 1. The source has been identified as unused side and end bolt holes in the right
hand (Bank 1) cam housing. A repair procedure has been developed to correct
this condition.
��
2005 – 2006 model year Avalon vehicles.

�� 2007 model year Camry vehicles equipped with the V6 engine

Old 03-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Unhappy Major oil leak

I just had a MAJOR OIL LEAK in my 2007 Camry SE V6. I have 54,000 miles on it. No warning light at all. Just driving down the street and seen some smoke.. drove into drive way and a big puddle of oil was under the car. Do you think it is the VVL like these other posts? Do you think it should covered by the dealer? I am the original owner and have had many problems with this car..

Old 03-30-2009, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Paul3637
There is a TSB on this. EG038-06 - Copied and pasted from the actual TSB:
Page 1 of 2
EG038-06
Title:
Models:
Technical Service
BULLETIN
June 19, 2006
TSB REVISION NOTICE:
��

Some 2GR–FE engines may display evidence of a small oil leak, located on the rear side
of Bank 1. The source has been identified as unused side and end bolt holes in the right
this condition.
��

This TSB is calls for the timing chain front cover to be resealed. The leak from the front cover is generally a slow constant seepage. The VVTi hose rupture is basically a heavy leak in which the oil is lost at a fast rate. 2 completely different issues and repairs.
Oil leaks are generally covered as part of the powertrain warranty 5 years/60K miles. If you are generally a repeat customer at the dealership for service work- the SM can authorize certain repairs under warranty even after the time/mileage has been exceeded.

JJ

Old 03-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Default oil leak, warranty

Hope you have a warranty, wheather the original or an extended. And 700.00 later. Try reading this thread: General Tech Oil Leak 2007 Camry~ VVT Line Ruptured

Good luck, I can see the oil stained floor in my garage + on the siding out side the garage door. Mine, by luck was covered under the extended warranty. They will tell you that things are back ordered a month, but with a little talk, I got mine back on the 7th day. I don't think they wanted to continue paying the car rental any longer.
marv

Old 03-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

There have been posts of dealers refusing to cover the fix under extended warranty. They claim it is not part of the drive train.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:20 AM
Default TSB Covers Problem

Nobody should be paying one dime for something for which is covered by a TSB. Once your engine has run out of oil by definition - it has been damaged - even if it still runs ......... for a while. It only affects Camry for year 07; Avalon for prior years. Toyota dealer here in KC just replaced the engine on on a 2005 Avalon for this exact issue - and it was paid for by Toyota. Owner had had all service work performed by dealer; I don't know whether owner had driven beyond 60,000 miles or not but I bet I could track it down.

Here is the TSB which I have posted before in other camry forums:

The TSB is EG038-06 and specifically covers the 2007 camry v6 including the avalon. The dealer should pay. Here is a copy of the beginning of the pdf file which you can dowload from the Internet:

Page 1 of 2
EG038-06
Title:
Models:
Technical Service
BULLETIN
June 19, 2006
TSB REVISION NOTICE:
��

this condition.
��

Old 04-01-2009, 12:28 AM

TSB and recalls are completely 2 different issues. TSB's are meant to assist the servicing technician in diagnosis or to instruct the technician of a repair procedure (or updated part in this matter). Unfortunately- TSB's have warranty coverage times unlike recalls. Toyota's only obligation (aside from making their customers happy) is to warrant repairs based on the given warranty periods stated in the warranty guidelines- 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5/60 powertrain. Should a car be in excess by either time or mileage- Toyota has no obligation to cover these repairs under warranty... even with a TSB. On a good note: Toyota relies heavily on customer satisfaction and in many cases, will cover the repairs under warranty (on a case by case basis).

JJ

Old 04-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

I understand.

Toyota could improve their customer relations a tad. Have read and heard TOO many complaints about Toyota Dealers.

GM, Ford, etc dealers have there own problems but Toyota had set themselves up to appear to be different. If one wants to gain a reputation for good service one must be expected to carry through on this reputation.

In times of declining sales it might be best to retain what customers ones has instead of driving them off due to poor customer service and to an extent quality.

Hopefully this may change with the new President Akio Toyoda, a grandson of the founder.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Default VVT Oil line

I too have a 2007 Camry SE V-6 that had the VVT line rupture. Luckily I am still within the factory warranty and everything is being covered including a rental. However this happened on March 17th and nearly 1 month later I still have the rental. They told be the part is on backorder for 2 weeks. Ya that was a joke. I still call every week and they tell me its still on backorder and they can't give me a definite date as to when it'll be in. Anyone have some advice as to what I should try next? Thanks.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by pgr112
I too have a 2007 Camry SE V-6 that had the VVT line rupture. Luckily I am still within the factory warranty and everything is being covered including a rental. However this happened on March 17th and nearly 1 month later I still have the rental. They told be the part is on backorder for 2 weeks. Ya that was a joke. I still call every week and they tell me its still on backorder and they can't give me a definite date as to when it'll be in. Anyone have some advice as to what I should try next? Thanks.
Just smile and be patient (unless your rental is a "rent a wreck" that you are embarrassed to be seen driving) - you are putting miles on someone else's car. In 1997 I waited FOUR MONTHS and 8,000 miles on a free rental car while my 97 LE V6 waited for repair parts while it sat in the Superior Toyota body shop after a wreck. [Reason for delay: they were selling Camrys so fast that they would not take the parts off the assembly line]. Not only did the rental car not cost me a dime - Toyota paid for the rental; not my insurance - Enterprise Rental Car cut me a check to reimburse me for the oil change I had performed when the Ford Taurus rental car hit 7500 miles.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak 2007 Camry~ VVT Line Ruptured