General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Leak 2007 Camry~ VVT Line Ruptured

Old 02-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

I understand your position.

Unfortunately for customers, Toyota is still pretty much in the drivers seat on issues of dealing with quality and customer complaints.

Of course Toyota and dealers are stating they never heard of this or that problem including VVT-I line failure (nothing new here). Toyota has been in denial for years, the dealers allowed to run their own way pretty much independent of the company.

Suspect this was due to corporate Toyota wanting to gain market share (number of cars sold) and needing to keep the price of their cars down. Toyota being a very popular car, dealers did not need to work to hard to sell them, and who cares about the customer when another one will be walking into the door. Dealers also make money for the company and typically for a corporation this is all that matters, making money.

Perhaps Lentz only knows what he is told. Often a CEO has little mechanical or electrical knowledge (their MBA types) and needs to rely on subordinate managers who are often just as clueless (and wanting to keep their jobs).

Or maybe he is lying (this would not be the first time someone lied under oath).

I don't know anything about Lentz.

All I know is Toyota has classified the fixing of the VVT-I as a campaign.

It is only when a corporation is pressed to point of lost sales ($$$) and or the thought of government stepping in to "fix" a problem (regulation) that they apologize and try to make everything right (or at least give the appearance of such).

Toyota is just another corporation that was a victim of its own success, and now paying the price for ignoring the fact that the emperor has no cloths. Perhaps this too should be taught in MBA school but doubt any CEO would learn this lesson except the hard way.

Their ego's are just too big and often winning at any cost is all that it is about!

Last edited by toyomoho; 02-26-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Default Oil all over my driveway.....

I have a 2007 Camry and came home to a mess last night. My wife drives the Camry and she got home from work last night before I did. I pulled up and noticed oil spots all over the driveway underneath the car with a larger spot centrally located beneath the engine. There was oil all over the back of the car as well. I went in and asked my wife what happened and she didn't know what I was talking about. I called Toyota this morning and they sent a wrecker out to pick it up. They currently have the car and I'm waiting to find out what the deal is. My situation sounds eerily similar to stories I'm reading on this site. Today is the first I've heard of this VVTi issue.
I bought this Camry in late 2007 used, but it was Certified Pre-Owned and has a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty so I pray this falls under the warranty.
I just called the dealer and spoke with a service guy that said it appears it is the VVTi hose and said it is covered under a recall. He didn't know for sure what the problem is though. Another guy is going to call me back with the diagnosis.
This is a serious issue. My wife was carrying my 2 year old son in that car yesterday and it could have locked up and she could have wrecked.
I have been a loyal Toyota guy for a few yrs now. I've even tended to side with Toyota a bit on this gas pedal/acceleration issue. I guess it hits home when something like this happens. My opinion of Toyota is changing a bit.
We'll see how this gets handled.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:24 AM

Here's the official word from Toyota:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/l...vt-154549.aspx

So it looks like everyone's covered; sorry to you folks who have already taken the wallet hit to get this fixed.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:36 AM

Oil light is pressure, not volume. If the pickup is submerged, you have pressure. When the volume is low, you might only have the light flash when you go around turns. Just guessing but you might still have oil pressure 3 1/2 quarts down. The fuel pump will usually not run when there is no oil pressure. Ever hear of anybody having a car stall at the Jiffy Lube when they forget to do the oil fill? If that happens to you, stop them right then and there and get the manager.

Last edited by wildroot; 06-03-2010 at 06:38 AM. Reason: added content
Old 06-03-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by ejohnson

So it looks like everyone's covered; sorry to you folks who have already taken the wallet hit to get this fixed.
Thanks man. Ive been looking for some type of official doc/report of the vvti oil line issue. I am buying a 07 xle v6 this afternoon and needed this evidence to help my arguement for them to fix this before it happens to me.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:00 AM

Ok, went to the dealer yesterday(Peninsula Honda) in virginia. The salesman said they would call the toyota dealership down the street. They are performing the upgrade on the oil line now. They actually said it was a recall, I didnt think it was an official recall b/c its not classified as a safety issue..but I just kept my mouth closed on that.

Anyway, I feel a lot more comfortable buying my camry now. Should be purchasing her this afternoon (fist pump). Thanks again *ejohnson* for the link.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Default Great service from Toyota dealer

So I had this same thing happen to me, leading to the googling and press release. Happened a week ago while on the highway, and oil was pretty much dry when I was able to stop (oil light did flash twice while coming to a stop - did not stay on though). Temperature never got high, so hopefully no damage.

Had to wait over the holiday weekend until the dealer service department opened, but once I called them they were fantastic. They paid for towing, and had the car back to me the next day (and even offered to pay for a rental, if needed). Everything was no charge to me (the service guy said it was a recall - haven't seen any official word on this but maybe it is...). In any event, car fixed at no charge to me without any haggling. Thanks to Mike and the team at Toyota of Ft. Worth! Top notch.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by ejohnson

great link ejohnson that helped alot with some questions I had
bobbyvanmc
americanwheelandtire.com