General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

oil seals cam and front crank

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Default oil seals cam and front crank

I am looking at the oil seal for the cam on front of the engine opposite distributor. Started to pick away at the rubber to get it off and i am scared to force it out and do damage to the metal where seal goes into. Would taking the cam bearing cap right there work.(my valve cover is off) I know it seems that it would be easy to remove and install new one with the bearing cap off. I have to use new sealant on the valve cover anyway. I don't want to take the cams off, and to take this cap here is not the proper removal sequence. Is just taking one cam bearing cap off all that bad of a move?

My crank pulley is off. I guess i pry the pulley behind that. Any ideas on this seal too?

thanks

Old 06-02-2010, 04:38 PM

I once put too much oil in my 2000 Camry, blew-out all the seals, and had to replace them. I just used a small flathead screwdriver (carefully) to pry them out. You could also try a small amount of penetrating oil to loosen any baked-on oil.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Is this a 4 cylinder?

One method of removal to use a use something like a sheet metal screw. If possible drill a hole in the metal part of the seal face, then install the screw and use it pull out the seal.

You can also use a special tool that has a hook to grab the seal (auto parts store should have this).

The link below has a good article on timing belt replacement. Read the part about removing and installing the cam seal.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=264425

The same methods can be used on the crank seal but you may or may not able to use the crank pulley to force the seal in place (never tried it). You should have enough room to be able to drive the seal in. Use the old seal on top of the new one.

The pulley behind the crank should just slide off.

You are not going to have much room in front of the camshaft.