General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

P0442 Evaporative emmision system leak detected, I am confused.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 12:43 PM
Default P0442 Evaporative emmision system leak detected, I am confused.

2AZFE Camry STANDARD TRANSMISSION

Hello my dear Toyota enthusiasts, it's been a long time. Last time I was here I had the stripped head bolt issue to figure out and repair has held up to this day. I used NS 300 threaded steel inserts.. Anyways I got a new problem. As a matter fact this is a very old problem that I just never was able to figure out. Please please help this brother troubleshoot and be victorious with this.

The reason why I say it's an old problem is because I noticed that during the summertime in stop and go traffic, when I I noticed a very very strong Rich fuel type of smell that is coming from I don't even know where. And I've also seen this trouble code P0442 show up before, a few times. Tryd doing a YouTube search on it but it's pretty confusing. I guess you got to drop the gas tank to try to check all the hoses or something so I just wanted to check out with you guys 1st for the correct sequence in troubleshooting this code.

I CANNOT remember the last time I got good gas mileage, and this is a stick shift!!!! People always say, "you must get great gas mileage," but I cannot agree! It seems like my gas mileage has been suffering for the longest, and I think this is somehow related.

The reason why I'm so desperate right now is because I went to get a smog check and I forgot to erase code and it didn't pass smog. I'm assuming if I reset the trouble code I'll be able to Pass smog, right? (every time I reset the code it takes like a month or two for it to pop back up, so maybe its a temp fix to pass emission inspection smog.)

By the way I'm using OBDLink by OBD Solutions, its an android app that connects to obi connector via USB CABLE and shows live info on sensors and such. The problem is, I have no clue how to interpret the results, and was probably intended for professionals. If it would help, would you like me to attach display screenshots of the software in use? Maybe somebody can look at it and tell me what it means, so I can take over from there. The software does tell me this as well-

"Closed loop, using oxygen sensor feedback to determine fuel mix."

If I could figure out how to fix that very strong rich fuel odor that happens during the summertime I'll be a happy camper. Its so strong that I just want to die and pass out, it is terrible.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:12 PM

try replacing the gas tank cap

The on-board diagnostics, or OBD, code P0442 can often be fixed by tightening the gas cap or replacing the gas cap. The code indicates a small leak in the evaporative emissions, or EVAP, system, which is commonly caused by a loose gas cap or a small hole in the cap.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by dirty hands
try replacing the gas tank cap

The on-board diagnostics, or OBD, code P0442 can often be fixed by tightening the gas cap or replacing the gas cap. The code indicates a small leak in the evaporative emissions, or EVAP, system, which is commonly caused by a loose gas cap or a small hole in the cap.
I've heard the Gas cap is crucial to get and if you need to replace one, you need to get the legitimate one for Toyota and not some aftermarket one. It seems legit by I'm still curious if I bought into bogus information.