General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Parking lights flash by themselves when car is sitting

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 04:27 AM
Unhappy Parking lights flash by themselves when car is sitting

I have a '95 Camry LE. I've had it for several years now and have put MANY miles on it. The car had been sitting for about 9 hours while I was asleep before I took the dog out for a walk and noticed that my parking lights flashed once while I was walking by my car. I thought I was crazy and maybe saw a reflection of light, but stood infront of the car watching to see if it would do it again. Sure enough, both parking lights flashed at the same time only once. I then noticed they would flsh once about every minute. I've never had this happen before and don't even know how it would. I got in my car and noticed the auto-dome light didn't come on so I tried to start the car and the battery was dead as could be but the "Door Ajar" light was slightly lit. I checked to see if maybe I hit hazard lights on by accident and they were off. As far as I could tell, everything was turned off when I had left my car hours before. I then tried to jump it with my other car and nothing worked and the battery was even more dead after that (The door ajar light wasn't even lit up at all after).
Any ideas of why the parking lights would flash once every minute for what I'm guessing was hours since the battery was dead as could be? I would like to figure out what the problem is before I go and buy another battery for $100. Many thanks in advance!

Old 03-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Does the car have an alarm system?

Old 03-12-2010, 03:50 AM

It does have a car alarm, but has not been connected at all since I've owned the car. It is not connected to the battery or the car anymore. It is inside of the dash and all of the wires have been disconnected before I bought it.
Also, I've noticed that my door locks have been unlocking by themselves when my power locks have not worked at all for a couple of years now. Not a big deal to me since I leave my car unlocked all the time anyway, but it is quite strange.
Since I took out the battery and took it to be tested and charged, the lights have not been flashing. But nothing was even looked at on the car yet. My battery checked out just fine without any problems. Everyone I have asked so far has never heard of anything like this before.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Parking lights, as in the lower lights on the front bumper or the side mounted turn signals. Rear lights also blinking?

For the door lock issue check the door switches. A problem switch can cause the door lock system to "think" a door is open.

Check the wiring between the drivers door and chassis. This wiring can flex to the point of breaking the wires and cause strange problems with the door locks and window operation.

Make sure the alarm is fully removed, check under the dash also.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:31 AM

That's something I always thought was strange. My turn signal lights are on the bumber, and the parking lights are the side mounted lights that are connected to the driving lights. I always thought they should be the other way around. And I'm not sure if the back lights were flashing as well because by the time I noticed it the battery was almost dead. Should the parking/turn signal lights be the other way around? People that are to the sides at 4-Way stops can't see that I'm turning even if I have my signals going because they are on the front of the car. I always thought it was kind of dangerous, but didn't know if that's how it was suppose to be or not.

As for the locks, when I push the power lock button, there is a sound coming from around the glove box that sounds like the locks are locking/unlocking, but nothing happens. I've checked every fuse connected with the locks and they were all fine. These fuses are also for the windows and have had to replace them before, and the windows work... kind of. The back windows don't work and never have since I've owned the car. The sunroof is also on these fuses and it works fine.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, the turn signals are on the bumper. Parking lights on the side. If bumper lights were flashing the might be a problem with the hazard light wiring. This would typically be the only way both lights could flash at the same time.

The door lock relay is in the passengers side lower kick panel area, this may be what you are hearing.

Door locks receive power from the 30A Power fuse via the Power Main Relay. If the windows work the door lock circuit should be receiving power.

Suggest a wiring problem. Again a know area is the wiring between the door and chassis.

Do any of the door lock switches work independently from their own door switch? The system has a dual wiring circuit. One for the drivers controls, the other for the individual switches.