General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston soak, scoping the cylinder before and after

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 05:29 PM

I analyzed my last fuel consumption, and it was right at 29 mpg, which is normal for my driving. There does not seem to be an increase in mileage after this initial experiment. The can states the engine cleaner improves performance, so we will see. So far still too new in the OCI to note any oil consumption differences.

I have two more quarts in transit to me, and think that it warrants an additional treatment due to the mileage on the engine (a bit over 184k now). I'll run the recommended amount in the gas tank (a quart to 10 gallons of gas), as soon as it arrives (when I get to about half tank I'll drop in the Kreen then run it down close to E) and when I get down to the end of my OCI in about 6 weeks or so will run another quart through the oil. If the weather ever gets good enough I will pop my valve cover off to look at the top of the engine, but it seems to be snow/rain through this next weekend, so I may just wait until the next OCI/treatment.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update! Keep us posted!
Again, thanks!

Old 03-05-2015, 07:29 AM

Received my 2 new quarts of Kreen, and just dumped a quart into the half filled tank of gas (recommended ratio), so will run down that amount and scope the cylinders again this weekend. In several weeks I'll add the other quart to the oil again and repeat that soak.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

I really hope you get some nice results!

Old 03-08-2015, 08:07 PM

Finished up my half tank run with 1 quart of Kreen in the tank. Can't say I notice any real difference on the top of the piston head. Below is #3 again, after running about 6 gallons of gas through the engine (1 quart to 10 gallons gas as per the can instructions. My warning light goes off with about 4 gallons in the tank remaining).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtXuipUj3sc

Also lifted my valve cover to get a look at any difference I may have seen on the top of the engine after my 1 hour run with 1 quart Kreen in the oil. Again, not sure I see much difference.

I am about 1,100 miles into my OCI and my dipstick was in between the two dots, so whatever that amounts to as "low" (maybe .5 quart). I topped it back up to the top dot.

My plugs were nice and dry so my new gasket is doing its job (the old gasket was allowing some oil down in there and the plugs were coming out with some oil on them).

The top of the engine, in JPG view

Name:  AfterKreen_zps4irewinc.jpg
Views: 2007
Size:  501.8 KB

Old 03-09-2015, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Looks pretty good under the valve cover. Keep it going!