General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Camry Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Default 2001 Camry Starting problems

I have a 2001 Toyota Camry and I have trouble starting in the cold, but once the engine has been started I have no problem starting. So what I do to get my car started I press the acceleratorhalf way then I get it to start.Does anyone know what this problem is and how can I go about in fixing it.

Thank you

Old 05-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Default RE: 2001 Camry Starting problems

I'm not familiar with the 2001, but it sounds like the ECM is not getting a signal to run a rich mixture on cold start. I would test your engine temp switch or intake air temp sensor with an OHM meter to make surethey arefunctioning. By holding your foot down (or to the floor) you do send a signal to the ECM for a richer mixture.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2001 Camry Starting problems

i have a 01 camry and i would just like to share my experience which sounds similar.... i can recall my car all of a sudden having a hard time starting smoothly one morning.i also noticed my car idling strangely. i was planning on taking the car into a shop to get it looked at later on at the end of the week. just my luck the next day when i tried to start the car, the engine didnt turn over.i even tried turning the key and stepping on the accelerator as you have tried. i decided to take the car in that day so i called a tow truck to haul my car to the toyota dealership (this tow truck took a few hours.) so while my car sat there in the drive way for a few hours waiting on the tow truck, he finally arrived. i told him my car wont start at all and that i needed to get it towed. the guy took down my information and sat in my car, put the key into the ignition, turned the key and the dam car started!!!!!

long story short i drove my car to the dealership and got an inspection done on my car. turns out that my car's Idle Speed Control Valve (IAC) needed to be replaced. what the IAC actually does is regulate the flow of air that passes through the throttle plate, which allows the car to idle. idle speed is adjusted by the ECU which open and close this valve. Sometimes alot of gunk can build up around this valve and cause the car to idle funny, stall, or just completely not allow your engine to start. (which was my case.)After getting my IAC replaced my car has never had this problem.

Although i could have easily told the people at toyota to not replace the IAC because sometimes you may be able to just clean all the build up out, and your good to go. but since i had bought my car used, i didnt want to take any chances, so i bought the valve. if i have this problem again in the future, which im sure will happen later down the road, at least now i know how to approach it. and this time i will be cleaning the valve instead of burning a hole in my wallet. anyway just thought id share my "starting problem experience", hope this helps.