General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Power Window won't go up...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 01:06 AM
Default Power Window won't go up...

I have a 2000 Camry and the rear passenger side window will not go up, it does not work with either the drivers window switch or the switch on the door. After it stopped the first time I was able to get it to go down a little more later but I have had no luck since then. It does nothing at this time(not up or down), in connection with this I attempted to take the door panel off to check the motor and I can not get it off. I must be missing something around the upper left side of the panel because it is loose everywhere else. If I could get it back up I would be happy but if I could get it fixed myself that would be the best.

Any suggestions on what the problem may be and also how I can remove the door panel will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help

Eric

Old 04-15-2007, 02:10 AM
Default RE: Power Window won't go up...

did you remove the cover for the inner door handle..the handle that opens the door.? before that hammer the door with a rubber hammer or your hand (the solid metal part of the door) to see if you could shake up the window motor while you are pressing on the window switch up..

Old 04-15-2007, 09:43 AM

I removed the screw at the door the door handle, do I need to remove this cover first as well?

I will also try pounding on the door first, hopefully that will work. I did hit it with my hand earlier with no luck, but I will try again.

Thanks for your help.

Eric

Old 04-15-2007, 07:00 PM

Okay, I have checked the power to the window and it is getting juice so it is not that. Anyone else have thoughts? I'm just guessing but I think it is the motor, how hard will this be to replace for a novice?

Old 04-17-2007, 09:25 PM

Does anyone have any other suggestions to help with this? I have taken the door panel off, I can see all the parts, but exactly what do I have to take out in order to replace the motor? Can I just remove the motor or do I need to remove everything, replace the motor and then put it all back in?

Old 04-20-2007, 10:01 PM

I am still looking for any diagrams or pictures that may be helpful, anyone have anything that they would like to share?

Old 04-21-2007, 01:44 AM

well replacing just the motor is possible because it is available aftermarket. It isn't easy to explain how to do to someone thats a do it yourselfer but I will do my best. First off I'm an auto tech and I've changed my share of motors/regulators. The regulator is what the motor is connected to that moves the window up and down along the 2 middle tracks. The motor should bolt to the door structure with 3 nuts or bolts. the regulator which the motor is attatched to bolts to the door structure with 4 nuts (2 on each track, 1 at each end top and bottom). The the regulator bolts to the bottom of the glass/window with 2 bolts at the top of each track. there should be cutouts in the frame of the door and when you move the widow up into the right place you'll be able to get at the bolts that bolt in the glass. If you have the problem of not being able to move your window up and down try giving the motor a light wack with a small hammer first and with it plugged in try working the switch to make it go up or down into the right position.Once you take out the 3 nuts that hold the motor in place, the 4 bolts that bolt the regulator to the door, the 2 bolts that bolt the glass to the regulator and the 2 wire plug connector to the motor you can pull out the motor and regulator all together. You'll want to have some way of holding the glass/window up while your changing the regulator. You might be able to just take it right out of the door once you unbolt it from the regulator but just becareful it doesn't fall down into the door and break

To seperate the regulator from the motor and only change the motor is a little tricky and I dont think I can explain it here. If I were you I would just buy the hole unit from the dealer and replace it that way. Good Luck, let us know how you make out. Don't get disouraged if it doesn't work out. It is definately not the simplest of repairs for someone that doesn't do this for a living.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:50 PM

Turbo,
Thank you very much. After messing with it and then reading your description I think I can follow all of your instructions. I appreciate your help.

One other question, once disconnecteddoes the motor/regulator come out through one of the cutouts, or is there another way to remove it from the door? I assume the window can just be lifted out the top of the door?

Thanks again
Eric

Old 05-16-2007, 11:27 AM

I have a similar issue with my front driver's side window on a 99 Camry. I ordered a complete regulator from 1a Auto and I'm a novice also, but Iwas able to successfully remove the window, unbolt the existing regulator/motor and then install the new regulator. However, when I put everything back together I still got no action on the window going up or down. This door switch controls all of the windows and the threeother windows work fine from this door switch. Also, I think it may be worth mentioning that the power lock button does not work for this same door, but it works for the three other door locks. Could there be something wrong with just the part of my door switch that controls the front driver side wiring? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:57 PM

Before I would go replacing the motor I would jump it directly, no switch inbetween, from the battery or 12V source. It's odd a rear passengerwindow motor would go as I doubt it gets used much, unless you have kids that run it up and down. If itis binding in the track that would prevent it from moving. You may be able to grab a bit of it and have someone press the up button and see if it will getgoing with a little help.