General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

04 tans/cv issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 08:37 AM
Default 04 tans/cv issue

I have an (125k mile) 04 XLE with the 3.3 motor that is my daily to drive to work. My son was driving the car, had the cruise control set and he heard/felt a loud pop. The camry just quit going so he coasted to the shoulder and called me. I went and towed it home. Car wouldn't move in any gear so I assumed it was the trans or CV. Got it home and pulled it in my shop. Fluid is fine, jacked it up and looked underneath, nothing looks abnormal. Put it back on the ground and the car drives... take it to the end of my driveway and turn around, and it does the same thing to me that it did to him. Doesn't necessarily seem like a trans issue. Feels like when it got in a load or a little bind something gives out.

Prior to this, there wasn't any clicking noise coming from the cv's. Maybe a little vibration but nothing major.

Pulled the axles out last night. I started on the passenger side and when i pulled the end of the axle out of the hub, the whole thing popped out of the tranny by itself, which is odd to me. The carrier bearing is definitely shot I didn't have to remove the snap ring. I think I pulled the drivers side axle apart when I was removing it. I didn't realize the axles are built the way they are. I have polaris rzr's and you remove the axles by pushing them in a little and yanking them out, unless they are seized where the splined axle goes in the tranny.

Is there a chance that the passenger side axle was not set properly due to the carrier bearing? There seems to be some wear on edge of the inner spline. Is or could there enough movement in the axle for it to be pushed out of the tranny under torque to cause the "pop" and lack of movement?

Thanks ahead of time. I'm trying to avoid pulling the transmission, that looks to be a pain is the ****.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

A loud pop is more indicative of an axle issue then a trans problems. Typically when a trans fails it no longer moves in Drive and or Reverse, starts slipping, etc.

What did the car do to you when you drove it?

The passenger’s side axle is held into the trans housing by the axle shaft carrier bearing. It has no snap ring on the splined in as the driver’s side to hold it into the differential. Suppose if the carrier bearing is bad the splined axle section could pull out of the trans differential as nothing is holding it in but the carrier bearing.

The inner CV joint slides in/out to compensate for the axle moving up and down and change in axle length.

If an internal trans issue it is typically a major fix. Thus suggest replacing the passenger’s side axle and carrier bearing first.

The carrier bearing has a snap ring and may have set screw on the bottom if the bearing housing. Once all the retaining devices are removed it should slid out. However the outer bearing race can be freeze to the bearing housing due to rust.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:53 AM

When I drove it to the end of my driveway, about 100 yards, It drove fine. It was when I went to turnaround and went from reverse back to drive and took off that it popped and acted like I was in neutral. When I put it on park it had a high paced or fast clicking noise trying to get into park. Like the transmission was still somewhat spinning. I'd assume that's what it is.. if the axle isn't connected all the way to the trans. Without the brake holding the axle still, there is nothing to slow the spin of the transmission.

I'm going to go get some new axles and install them and see what happens.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:57 AM

I'm thinking towing it home, putting it up on Jack stands and messing with everything and putting it back on the ground allowed the axle to get back in place momentarily and that's why I was able to move it. The trans has been shifting fine and has firm shifts prior to this.

Old 01-04-2023, 09:55 PM

CV shafts were the culprit. Problem solved, thanks.

Old 01-05-2023, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Great job!

Thanks for posting back with the fix.