General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio draining battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Default Radio draining battery

Hey folks, I tried searching for this answer but nothing really came up.

So my daughter's 98 Camry LE battery kept draining overnight. I read over different threads and determined it was the isloated to the DOME fuse...which I know means interior lights, radio, etc.

So after trying all kinds of crazy fixes, I figured out that the battery will drain if the radio is not turned off when the car is stopped.

So my question, is there a a short somewhere in the radio or some wiring issue? I can just replace the stereo since it is an old unit but don't want to just replace things when the problem may be a fuse.

Anyone experience this issue?

Old 04-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Radio draining battery

The original radio had 2 sources of DC power. One source turns on and off with the ignition switch. The source should be connected to the radio, meaning when the ign switch is on the radio works, etc.

The other DC power source is always on and used to power the radios memory. This keeps the radio programmed channel selections from being wiped out ever time the ign key is turned off.

Typically this power source also goes to the Dome light. The radios memory only uses a very small amount of power and should not drain the battery.

You appear to have hooked the Dome light source of power up to operate the radio instead of the power from the ign switch. As such the radio does not turn off unless you do this yourself.

Rewire the radio power sources and you should solve the problem. Dome power goes to the radio memory, ign power to actually operate the radio.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:56 PM

Thanks Toyomoho...but I didn't fiddle with the wiring and I'm pretty sure the radio is original (and not an aftermarket install).

The problem also surfaced fairly recently (within the past year from what the original owner stated). I know that an aftermarket sunroof was installed but as I mentioned before, the car drove for 8 years without issue (or original ownerwas totally clueless about the frequent battery issues).

Also, if the radio was on when the car was off, wouldn't the lights on the radio still be on? I know it is sucking power from the battery, I guess I just wanted some opinions on whether folks thought changing the radio with a new one would work (or do I have to crawl around checking for frayed wiring).

Thanks for your opinions.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Banned
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 04-15-2008, 08:01 PM

"So after trying all kinds of crazy fixes, I figured out that the battery will drain if the radio is not turned off when the car is stopped."

So when you turn off the ignition the radio also turns off but will drain the battery if you also do not turn the radio off? Very strange. I think you need to pull the radio and use a volt meter to test the power sources to the radio.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:40 PM

nocsek4...there is a difference between not knowing enough about cars and being lazy...I actually know quite a bit (mostly on my G20 though). I think most people will agree that electrical issues are more of a pain to figure out than it is to fix. I really wanted to avoid squirming around under the dash looking for a frayed wire if other people knew it was (for example) a shorted head unit.

The first thing I did was buy a Chilton (or Haynes) and have been fixing some issues that have popped up on the drive from Chicago to Washington (state). (changed a broken flex pipe, fixed the stalling, etc.) The fact that I am searching around looking for a fix should give you an indication that I hate taking my car into a shop to get fixed...I live in a small college town so the options of cheap and reputable mechanics are few. Besides, I think most people on this forum are more likely to try to fix something than to toss money at a shop. Thanks for your concern though

Pedro...I have to admit me "figuring out" the fix...my daughters friend told her that her car had the same issue and told her to turn off the radio and it worked. Yeah, quite a blow to my manhood . But at least it is working. When the weather warms up a bit, I think I will take the radio out and check the wiring for obvious signs. I'll do what you and toyomoho suggested and check the power source. I was just hoping someone would give me an easier answer.

Thanks for the suggestions...if anyone else has experienced the same issue or has other ideas, I'm open to suggestions. It'll probably be a few weeks before I try and fix it.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

I do not have the schematic for this exact year and Toyota changed things around between years. Determine if the electrical system has fuses labeled Radio No1 and Radio No 2. If so, these two would power the radio.

For the 1999: The Dome fuse power has the following items. Cigarette lighter , Clock, Combination meter, Headlight (with daytime running lights), Interior light , Key reminder light, Seat belt warning light, Light auto turn off, Moon roof , Theft system and Wireless door lock

For the 1994 : Antenna Clock , Combination meter, Ign switch, Interior lights, Integration relay, Trunk light, Moon roof and Vanity light

Check to make sure the trunk light is turning off when the lid is closed.

Get hold of ammeter and determine the drain on the battery by placing it between the battery and cable. Once know you might be able to guess at what is the cause based on current flow.

Does the stereo have a remote amp that may not be turning completely off.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:01 PM

Toyomoho...thanks for the advice. I'll check to see if there are a few radio fuses when I pull the head unit out.

I do know the power drain is coming from the dome because of some write up (I think on this forum) that explained how to check it. I can't recall the number, but it was fairly high compared the write up numbers. I did check to see if the trunk light was messed up and turned it on and off...the meter didn't change when the trunk was closed so the switch at the trunk was working (that was where I was hoping the problem was since it would have been an easier fix)

The problem with the DOME fuse is that there is a lot connected to it...many of which you listed. I was surprised when the "turn off the radio" fix worked. And I doubt that the radio has an amp (unless it was standard equipment). But that would have been a good guess.

I will just need to pull the unit and see if the is a blown fuse or frayed wire. If there isn't, I'll probably buy a new stereo since I'm sure my daughter wouldn't mind the new system.

Oh and my crazy fix attempts included a small solar powered battery charger (was the small 1.5 watt one)...that didn't work. Using quick release clamps on the negative battery cable and making my daughter pull the cable after she parks it for extended periods (a few "I forgot, can you jump start my car" ended that fix)...I nearly went to a small battery charger you attach inside the engine compartment and plug in...but I figured if she forgot to do the negative battery cable fix, it would be a matter of time when she drove out of the driveway with an extension cord dragging behind her (still attached to the battery charger).

Thanks for the help Toyomoho, I've seen your name quite a bit in other posts so you seem to be a helpful individual. Keep it up!

Old 04-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks