General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rattle in Sunroof

Old 10-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Default Rattle in Sunroof

Hello, I'm not sure if I am posting in the correct area or not.. I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with a rattle with their sunroof? I bought a new 07Camry SE 3 months ago.. last month I heard a noise that sounded like big rain drops or tapping on the top of the car on the passenger side, well after taking it to the local dealership (5xs) they first thought it was wiring - then a bolt - they are now at a stand still.. when the rattle is happening if you press up on the glass of the sunroof it stops. I am now waiting for a Toyota Rep to come to the dealership. Any ideas? Anyone else have the same issue? I love my Camry .. but hate having a rattle from the get go.. -sigh-

Old 04-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Default RE: Rattle in Sunroof

I just bought an 07 SE the other day and have noticed the same thing. Let me know what you find out from the dealer.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:25 PM

Wow.. I was actually surprised to see a reply hehe Sorry you have the same problem.. It's funny the Toyota Rep came down and the morning I took him for a ride of course NO noise.. well they said when it becomes more "constant" they will be able to put a hand on it.. because it seems first thing in the morning it would rattle NON-stop.. by the time the tech would work on it then take for a drive no noise - prob fixed.. NOPE - same thing would happen again the next morning.. so it's hard.. they said maybe once winter set in with the cold it would do it more - but it seemed to be better during the winter - so now since the heat is approaching.. the noise is more reoccuring.. so I will be bringing it back to shop in hopes or fixing it. I recorded the noiseto show when it's not doing it - they can hear what it does and how nerve racking it can be. I noticed the noise within 3 months and under 2k miles - I'm now almost right at a year (May 20th) and 9k miles and it's still there .. I did read someone had their sunroof replaced (they had the rattle) I think before long I will insist on doing the same, but of course they want to try everything first. I still love my Camry, just wishing I would have not chosen the sunroof/moonroof option Good Luck .. I will post whenever I hear good news..

Old 04-08-2008, 09:58 PM

Ok I thought I would try and post the recording of the noise.. Prob my luck it's not going to work.. ha -1st time trying to post on youtube lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpsTIFSbNmY

I recorded it with my cell phone ..... turn your speakers up

Old 04-09-2008, 06:21 AM

Leave the car at the dealership overnight.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:11 AM

Yep, that's exactly what mine sounds like.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:27 AM

I plan on leaving it overnight - the problem though is they hear it first thing in the morning, work on it - drive it ALOT (put 100 miles on it) then come 11:00 and no sound - they think WOOHOO it's fixed.. well the next morning same thing.. so I will wait til the first of May - seems to really do it more when warmer.

Thanks for the reply.

** Oh and I recorded it because I felt like the crazy obessed lady that would return everyday... I know they are sick of me but I'm not crazy.. it's there lol

Old 04-10-2008, 01:13 PM

holy crap that sound is murder!

Old 04-16-2008, 03:49 PM

I thought I'd post an update - I taken my car back to the dealership and planned on leaving it there for them to drive first thing in the morning. To my surprise, I just received a call from the dealership - they will have to order the part for the sunroof and it would be in Friday.. I said .. omg! You guys know what it is.. you heard it? He said Yes, the tech did hear it and we're having to replace the Sunroof Housing. I'm actually not sure what that is .. but I'm hoping that will take care of the rattle I will post prob next week (give it a few days) and let you know if that worked.

** trying not to get too excited.. but <crosses fingers>

Old 04-23-2008, 06:13 PM

Me again just wanting to give an update... my car was not ready Friday (the part didn't come in) nor Monday, but I did pick up Tuesday evening and I have not heard anything YAHOOOO - I know I don't wanna get my hopes up .. but it ALWAYS seemed to do it in the mornings and this morning (Weds) on the way to work (I even turned radio off) it was silent!!!!!! I'm so excited.

So dwilkins69 - I hope this info helps - I will post back in a few weeks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rattle in Sunroof