General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

remove engine/and tranny????

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Default remove engine/and tranny????

Can you remove the engine out of a 1997 Camry without the transmission? If not, and the transmission and engine both have to come out, do you have to pull the transaxle’s out to pull both engine and Trans? I have heard that the driver side transaxle is not easy to get out, something about a shaft bearing in the motor mount ????Thanks for your time

Old 04-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

The trans alone should be able to be removed but doubt the engine. There is not enough room in front of the engine to move it forward to disengage the trans.

To get the trans out the axles need to be pulled out of the differential.

The side having the timing belt has the axle carrier bearing. It is not a problem unless the bearing has become frozen in the housing.

The opposite side axle is held into the differential by a cir-clip at the end of the splined shaft the plugs into the differential. Getting the axle to come out of the diff often requires prying on the inner CV joint with a bar. There should be many Google hits on methods to remove including what problems come up.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Default thanks

Thanks, back in the day I rebuilt old Mopars, most big blocks, 383-426-440.Did do a small block 360 one time. This is my first front wheel 4 bangers. I have been taking a lot of pic. And notes let’s see what happens. Thanks again