General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 camery dies no check engine light?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Default 93 camery dies no check engine light?

I have a 93 camery with 130,000 miles, love the car but have had a slight problem with it dieng when driving. The car dies after about 20 min of driving I get no check engine light or have any noise coming from the engine. Once the car dies it will not restart, we repaced the control module and the car fired right up but then again after 20min it would die. So we decided to replace the coil which we found had a crack in it and the oil had leaked out probably causing somthing to overheat. Once the coil had been replaced the car fired right up. However once we turned the car off and tried to fire it back up it would not start.So here we are we have no idea what is causing this problem maybe the relays the fuses are good and so is the battery. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it we are lost at the moment...

Old 01-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Default RE: 93 camery dies no check engine light?

ORIGINAL: JBandy
So we decided to replace the coil which we found had a crack in it and the oil had leaked out probably causing somthing to overheat.
When you say "oil" do you mean engine oil was in the distributer housing? 6 or 4 cylinder?

You first need to determine if you are getting spark when the engine won't start. Remove spark plug andhold threads against engine block with wire attached; get someone to crank the engine and see if you can see the plug spark - a dark background helps.CAREFUL OF MOVING ENGINE PARTS. The spark should be bright and blue, not white.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:27 PM

I dont know where the Crank position sensors are on these cars, but on my SHO when the water pump leaked, it would dump hot coolant right on the sensor causing the exact same symptoms.. check that or your cam sensor.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:45 PM

No crank position sensor on a 93 Camry 4 cyl'd, if that's what he has. Don't think a 6 has one either?

Old 01-23-2009, 04:02 PM

the oil was coming from the coil itself the coil is oil filled to keep the unit from overheating. we replaced the coil along with the control module and the car started right up we thought the problem was solved. but again the car died after 20 min at idle. hope this can better help you.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:30 PM

AH.. well.. there is a short in a sensor somewhere thats intermittent. the symptoms show that when something gets warm it stops working till it gets cool agian..

Old 01-24-2009, 12:34 AM

Negative on crank sensor regardless of engine. How long have you owned the car? were the previous owners old? Im thinking oil pressure. does it start heating up towards end of 20 minute run?

Old 01-24-2009, 12:35 AM

well.. it was a thought... dont know enough about this motor yet!

Old 01-24-2009, 12:41 AM

then againyou may get lucky and it just be bad gas, I would drop tank,drain it, change filter fill the hell out of it with fuel cleaner etc and see if that works lol alot cheaper and easier problem to have. worse case scenario is engine tear down.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:42 AM

lmfao me neither

Quick Reply: 93 camery dies no check engine light?