General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-25-2015, 05:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Replace Wiper Motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Great post, thanks!

Old 03-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Default A small adjustment needed

Kaddo,

Yea, jb weld isn't much of a conductor and I thought I had it touching metal to metal while it was curing. I checked it after hardening and alas, there was no continuity with my meter. So I took a very short piece of jumper wire and soldered it to the bracket and the other end to the tab that's jb welded on. The wire is small and is out of the way of everything and it provides continuity across the open caused by the epoxy. I just wanted to see if the jb weld might hold it together maybe longer than soldering. We'll see.

Wayne

Old 03-27-2012, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by ic3ss
Kaddo,

Yea, jb weld isn't much of a conductor and I thought I had it touching metal to metal while it was curing. I checked it after hardening and alas, there was no continuity with my meter. So I took a very short piece of jumper wire and soldered it to the bracket and the other end to the tab that's jb welded on. The wire is small and is out of the way of everything and it provides continuity across the open caused by the epoxy. I just wanted to see if the jb weld might hold it together maybe longer than soldering. We'll see.

Wayne
Yeah, it's what I was afraid of.
Good idea that jumper, though.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Default My repair method

I don't think conductive epoxy has enough conductivity to work properly. Also, conductive epoxies don't have the strength that non-conductive epoxies have. I did my repair (which lasted about 4 yrs in rainy Massachusetts) by soldering the broken spring contact together with a splint made out of part of a plated hard copper spade lug terminal that I cut down to a simple rectangular shape. The complete repair had the two pieces of the original spring contact butted together end-to-end with the splint overlapping the two pieces and bridging across the butt. Soldering the whole assembly together was a tricky multistep process because I had to use tweezers to hold everything in the proper position while soldering.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Boston Lover
I did my repair (which lasted about 4 yrs in rainy Massachusetts) by soldering the broken spring contact together with a splint made out of part of a plated hard copper spade lug terminal
That was the method I also used, exactly.
Now, a bonus reading about your experience.
It means there is hope for at least 2 more years on the life of my switch.
Thanks for the info!

Old 01-14-2013, 02:29 PM

Repairs described above are accurate. Almost every time the Camry wiper motor is the culprit when intermittent and park aren't working correctly. The pics above are the key to solution. Once motor is out, repair only takes a few minutes. Save yourself about $100. I first soldered the broken armature, overlapping the broken metal by a fraction of an inch. Added a little extra solder to fill the void. Then, I carefully coated/caked the repair with JB Epoxy but not enough to interfere with moving parts. I let set for one hour in sunlight to cure. Reassembled and VOILA! Works perfect. Intermittents work & parks correctly. CAUTION - prevent damage - let the motor cycle several times and turn off before attaching the wiper arms. THEN reattach them where you want them to park. Thanks everyone above who posted the solution.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Smile Yay!

Yay! I came here and used this info to fix my wiper motor. It worked! Cost: $0 Time: good portion of a day

Old 03-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Default Still going . . .

Well, it's been a year since i fixed my wipers using JB Weld and a jumper wire and still going strong, even here in rainy Oregon where they really get a workout. I'm really glad to hear from others who are finding and making use of this thread.

Wayne

Old 12-31-2013, 10:08 AM
Default Wipers have only 1 speed

I just replaced my wiper motor... thanks for all the info here. I tested the speeds and everything worked fine until I put it in place and tightened everything up. My problem is now it only works at 1 speed whether I have it a hi or lo speed. The intermittent works also. Anybody got any thoughts to my problem.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Year and model of Camry such as CE, LE, XLE?

What symptoms caused the replacement motor to be installed?

Any links/information/part number/vendor on the replacement motor used?

Quick Reply: Replace Wiper Motor