General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replacing the oil cooler gasket

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 06:40 PM
Default Replacing the oil cooler gasket

The oil cooler gasket is leaking on my 95 2.2. Wondering if there will be enough slack leaving the oil cooler lines on to replace the gasket?

Old 11-28-2016, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

It appears it is possible. There is not a gasket but 2 rectangle "O-rings". One large dia and one small.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:26 PM

Let us know how it goes as I'm may try to change them on my next oil change.

Fwiw, you need a 30mm socket to remove the center bolt and it's toque spec is 58 ft. lbs. Of course there is another very small fastener off to the side.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:50 AM

I ordered the seal and waiting for it to come in. I'm still not sure how I will go about replacing it. I just replaced the coolant a month a ago and I really don't want to drain out the freshly new coolant. I know those cooler lines will be on there tight and it won't be easy coming off. I'd rather keep the cooler lines intact to replace the seal. But looking at it, might be very tight and little room in there to do that. I could try to remove the exhaust manifold but pretty sure the bolts on there are pretty tight and might break off if I use a breaker bar on them.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:39 PM

I have in my notes that someone has reported that they got the job done without removing the hoses as follows:

"You can flip the cooler and replace the seals without removing the coolant hoses. Takes some careful maneuvering, I had it done in 20 minutes. Remember that there is a 10mm nut holding the cooler to the engine block that must be removed too."

So if someone else has done it hopefully we can too! I might try and remove that heat shield though...

Where did you order the new seals from? A dealership or ebay etc. I haven't gotten them yet.

BTW, torque on the small nut is 69 inch-lb (~6 ft.lbs).

Old 12-03-2016, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Try the above first, then if required remove the coolant lines. Removing the manifold could be difficult if the nuts are frozen.

Make sure the gaskets are set in the grooves of the cooler.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:27 AM

I replaced the seals without removing the cooling hoses.

I used a mirror and very good light source since I could not see all of the backside without the mirror.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jbenrod
I replaced the seals without removing the cooling hoses.

I used a mirror and very good light source since I could not see all of the backside without the mirror.
I am getting ready to replace the seals. Did you drain all the coolant (radiator & secondary coolant drain on the engine block or just one of them was enough?

Old 09-04-2017, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

If you don't remove the coolant hoses, there is no need to drain the coolant.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:15 AM

Great. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Replacing the oil cooler gasket