General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Serious problem with my TOYOTA Camry '98

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Default Serious problem with my TOYOTA Camry '98

Hello everyone. First of all I like to introduce myself I am Sam from Saudi Arabia and i have Camry 1998. 2.2 and engine type is 5S-FE with Automatic Transmission.

Today something bizarre happened. This morning when i started my car everything was well till i drove it less than a mile and i see O/D OFF(overdrive on/off) Indicator flashing in tachometer and Engine Malfunction Indicator turns on (the one with engine on it).

I quickly pulled the car and stopped the engine, opened the hood and didnt see anything unusual so i went back in and started car. Both indicators are off by now which is good but the electric Odometer is completely dead. I did try turning off and on several times but no luck.

I inspect engine oil and transmission fluid every week and even today both are ok.I can't take my car to mechanics right now but does anyone have a clue what could have happened

Old 05-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Serious problem with my TOYOTA Camry '98

Does the transmission still shift into all gears including O/D? If so, guessing there is an issue with the speed sensor on the differential housing. This sensor transmits a signal to the computer to let it know how fast the car is going. This signal also goes to the speedometer display. A problem with the sensor or circuit will trip the check engine light.

If the sensor or wiring has a problem and is not working, the transmission may now shift at differerant MPH speeds as the computer is now sending default info.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:54 AM

"toyomoho" I really appreciate your input and i like to update you on situation. The odometer is now working perfectly and even other indicators are not flashing as well. I'm really in a position to say that its got something to do with electricity. Because before starting this time I checked some wires and even battery terminals and moved them a little bit and now its fine.

But i really cant speculate for how long is it going to be fine because Engine Malfunction Indicator and O/D OFF flashing together can cause some serious driving concern. One other thing i thought that ODOMETER would reset to 000000 but didnt happen so computer is fine and I checked the transmission shiftsthey're shifting on same speeds like before.(20km,40km,60km & 80km) No Difference.

Have you ever seen or heard any problem like this before ?

Old 05-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Not this exact issue. Wiring issues can cause all kinds of problems. If the problem went away after moving some wires around then you have most likely found the problem area.

As it appears to be wiring issue, the problem may not be the speed sensor. But most likely a trans wiring, component issue or wiring for both trans and engine.

If the issue were a a bad wire to say an engine sensor only the check engine light would come on, not the O/D light. On older cars the O/D light flashing meant a trans problem and a trouble code was stored.

A check engine light on could mean anything from a serious to minor issue. The O/D light flashing can be the speed sensor or something like a trans shift solenoid, most likely again the wiring.

Next time the engine light comes on have someone read the code(s) via the diagnostic port. Knowing what part is effected the wiring to it can be run down and checked.

The odometer mileage setting would not be affected by a power failure. It needs to be non-resetting or this would cause a major headacke in keeping track of a cars mileage between owners, for warranty issues, etc.
The wiring must have been fixed for now and the computer reset itself.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:56 AM

Hello TOYOMOHO Today its friday and just like last week when i started car same thing happens. First of all i found that odometer is off and when i drive the car as the gear shifts ENGINE INDICATOR and O/D OFF lights turn on.

I guess i need to take car to TOYOTA

Old 05-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Suggest getting the CEL code(s) read at AutoZone or any other autoparts store that will do it for free. Toyota will most likely charge a diagonostic fee of up to $100. You can purchase a low cost reader or rent one.

You can read the trans codes yourself without a scanner.

Find a small plastic box mounted on the drivers side strut tower near the master brake cylinder. Open the lid to find the terminals, under the lid is the key to the terminals.

Turn the ign switch and O/D switch on, but don't start the engine. In the connector box jump the Tt and E1 connectors with a short section of wire.

If a code is stored the O/D light will begin outputing a series of flashes making up a two numerial code. The code will be flashed 1 numerial at a time with a short break between them. Such as 4 flashes-pause-2 flashes-pause equals code 42. If more then one code is stored, codes will be presented in series. If just one code the output will repeat itself.

If no codes are stored the light will flash at a rate of once every 0.25 seconds.

If can get both CEL and trans codes this will help run down the trouble area. Post back with these codes and they can be looked up.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:28 PM

Hello Toyomoho I hope you get this message in good health

I did exactly what you told me to do "Turn the ign switch and O/D switch on, but don't start the engine. In the connector box jump the Tt and E1 connectors with a short section of wire"

The O/D light remains stable(not flashing) and i used 3-4 different wires to connect these two terminals but nothing.
I'm posting 4 pics please have a loot at them.

Here's one important thing i should tell you. In the past two months it only happened 3 times and everytime there was on thing common.

I live in Saudi Arabia and the weather here is very very very very very very hot, guess God's special hell is made up here. So usually i keep windows open or use shades to protect interior. But in all these three encounters my car was extremely hot from inside like oven and all these three encounters happened in the middle of the day Between 12:00pm to 3:00pm. In the last one (Tuesday 1:00pm) when i started the car, Odometer and Speedometer were gone so i'd put my car in D and drive. Gear shifted different than usual rate and ENGINE + O/D Lights turned up like usual. So i kept driving for 8km-10km later i pulled over and turned off motor. Later after 5 mins when i turned on engine everything seemed to be OK!

Thanks.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure why the trans wire connection is not working, are you using copper wire?

With ign switch on, determine if the O/D light comes on when the O/D switch is off and goes out with the switch is pressed in (on).

If the light blinks with the switch is off there is a code stored.

If you attempt to read the codes with the O/D switch in the off position the O/D light will remain steady.

Your best bet is next time this happens to have someone read the check engine code(s). The check engine light will only go on if there is a code stored.

Could be something like a transmission speed sensor, wiring for it or dash console. This would effect the speedo and cause the trans to shift differently. The heat could be causing an open circuit in the connectors, etc.

Perhaps you can find some kind of liquid spray on cooler, see link below.

http://www.blowoff.com/electronics/freeze_spray.htm

When the problem occurs spray this under the dash in the area behind the console to cool things down then see what happens.

Also look on the upper trans differential housing for a speed sensor for some thing that looks like the left hand side of the part in the photo of the link below. The part will have wires going to it. If you find the part try cooling it down.

http://info.rockauto.com/Airtex/Detail.html?5S4866.jpg

Again this should not cause damage to the trans or engine. The computer will detect there is a problem then go to a backup mode as you are finding with the change in shift pattern.