General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

should ac compressor run continuously (09 camry LE)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Default should ac compressor run continuously (09 camry LE)?

i'm troubleshooting a noise that may be unrelated but i noticed that the AC compressor on my 2009 Camry LE seems to run continuously - is this normal? my wife's 05 camry AC compressor does not run continuously

THANKS!

Old 01-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

The compressor runs when the AC system is off?

The compressor clutch does not cycle on and off when AC is on?

How cold is the AC air coming out of the ducts?

Car still under warranty?

Old 01-07-2012, 07:27 PM

as a little background - there is a slight vibrating sound when i drive the car - from the gist of your responses, i'm guessing it should not constantly be running - so follow up question: any tips on how to fix (or at least get into) a stuck compressor clutch (i realize that it's probably not an easy fix)?

The compressor runs when the AC system is off?
seems to

The compressor clutch does not cycle on and off when AC is on?
doesn't seem to

How cold is the AC air coming out of the ducts?
nice and cold - works just fine

Car still under warranty?
nope

Old 01-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Not fully up to speed on the 09 model but would assume the AC system should work the same as your wife's 05.

This stated is there a way to turn the AC off at the controls given all the automation in the climate system? If AC is off, compressor should be off.

If you are up to it you can turn the AC compressor or system off as follows:

Inside the engine compartment, drivers side is long plastic box. Inside the box are relays and fuses. If you remove the relay marked MGC, this will prevent the magnetic clutch on the AC compressor from working.

An alternative is removing the AC No 2 fuse located in a fuse box behind the drivers side ash tray/coin box. You may be able to see the fuses if you look behind the lid. This power the AC system controls.

Or look on the compressor for a wiring harness plug where one of the wires runs to the front of the compressor pulley, aka the magnetic clutch. Disconnect this plug. This will not allow the clutch to be powered.

Start engine and determine if you notice any difference in AC compressor operation (should not not be operating) or the engine idle has changed.

Why the compressor would be running 100% of the time? Low freon will cause the compressor to work more but still should turn off every once in while. Bad air temp sensor inside the car making the AC system think it needs to run all the time?

Run the test and post back with findings.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

One other thing is with engine off determine if the magnetic clutch is disengaging from the AC compressor. With engine off the AC drive pulley should be able to spin freely by hand assuming the belt were removed.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:33 PM

I'm going to verify that i located the correct wire but i disconnected what i believe was the correct wire and it kept running - i also tried to spin the pulley but could not (i could on my wife's '05)

i'm also going to check on the warranty as i'm getting the sense this is a compressor clutch failure

thanks again for all the help - will update soon!

Old 01-07-2012, 10:06 PM

so far, we have a bunch of "seems" and 'appears".
a/c pulley can not be turned from hand. a/c clutch plate can not be turned from hand too, as it's splined to a/c compressor shaft, and compressor can not be turned from hand.
unfortunately, Nippon Denso climate control has tendency to stubbornly turn on a/c, to keep windshield deofogged. Esp on a vehicle with outside temp sensor, as it calculates some algorythm for due point temp, based on th einside and ambient temps.
I am not saying clutch is not seized. I am saying - I am not convinced it's clutch or a/c. how about a picture of what you working on? There's no many wires coming to a/c clutch, it's very hard to "not be sure" what to disconnect, as there's only one plug on magnetic clutch.