General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spark plug cables

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 02:44 AM
Default spark plug cables

My 91 camry (4 cyl) overheated recently and 3 of the spark plug cables fused with the spark plugs. I pulled like hell and at first only the wires disconnected from the plugs and the plastic tube was still stuck to the spark plug. A small portion of the tube was portruding from the tube and I broke most of it off trying to pull it out. Has this happened to anyone else? And can the spark plug tubes be removed or are they part of the cylindr head? Any ideas on how to remove them? Please help.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Default RE: spark plug cables

you may have to remove the valve cover to get to those plugs. Otherwise you may damage plugs trying to get them out and then you'd have to remove the valve cover anyway.

I hope no significant damage due to overheat has occured to the engine itself. Sounds like it got really hot. Check for cracked head gasket (leaks, poor engine performance, etc) when you get it started.

Good luck

Old 01-23-2007, 12:38 AM
Default RE: spark plug cables

Since the plug boot is hollow where it fits over the plug, and you have already pulled most of the plug wire out maybe you could use a small screwdriver to push down between the inside of the boot and the plug to pry it away, piece by piece, from the plug. If you remove the valve cover be sure not to get crud down oil return galleys etc. That much heat applied to the engine is not good. As geokor said you will need to watch for head damage.