General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Speedometer/Tachometer Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Default Speedometer/Tachometer Problems

So I have a 1993 Toyota Camry XLE with a 2.2L. I just bought the car about two months back and the owner said that the speedometer and the tachometer has not been working properly for quite some time now. So first we hooked up the diagnosis scanner up to the diagnosis port and drove around the block. When the scanner showed that we were going 45 mph, the speedometer said we were going 35 mph. At 70 mph, the speedometer said 55 mph. So we know that the speed sensor is working. When I drove the car one cold morning, the speedometer was barely working at all. It seems that it works better later in the day when it is around 80 degrees. We have checked all the fuses and relays and they are all working. The tires are all the same size that is fit for the car. We have checked all the grounds as well. We have narrowed it down to the instrument cluster. Has anyone ever had or seen this type of problem? Any feedback will help. Thanks

Old 12-23-2011, 03:10 PM

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry that has intermittent instrument cluster problems. The Speedometer and Tachometer will cease to indicate proper readings and drop to zero. The tachometer will then bounce between zero and what I can only assume is a close approximation of the actual engine RPM. At the same time, the ABS and BRAKE warning lights illuminate and stay on for the duration of the "episode". These last anywhere from 10 seconds to 10 minutes. In the meantime, the car runs normally from what I can discern. I can be driving down the highway at 70 or sitting in the parking lot idling and these episodes occur. There are no other indications that something is amiss...no rough idling, no engine stalling, just the display. This is a 2007 Toyota Camry, 4 cyl, 5 spd automatic. I have inspected the transaxle input and output shaft sensors and they appear to be in good working order. There are no indications of oil buildup or broken/shorted wires. Connections all look good from what I can tell. HELP!

Old 12-23-2011, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Brake light as in for E-brake on or low brake fluid?

Old 12-24-2011, 10:17 AM

this is just hilarious. meaning - how much Toyota and GM are "twins" on some of their products issues.
reason I say this is that GM vehicles, including my Silverado, have exactly same issue - instrument cluster goes nuts. usually it's speedometer or fuel gauge. or entire cluster.
you know, to save you on $$$ to go to "pros" and have it "diagnosed" start with simple - pull cluster out and clean all connections in it and in the dash, where it plugs in, with electronic cleaner. it's not that hard to do. you may want to disable airbags and disconnect battery though.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:45 PM

The Speedometer and Tachometer will cease to indicate proper readings and drop to zero. The tachometer will then bounce between zero and what I can only assume is a close approximation of the actual engine RPM

Old 12-30-2011, 01:14 PM

Yeah, I took it to a garage mechanic I know...He put it on the reader, but guess what? No codes were showing. So, now I am afraid that tearing the dash apart is all I have left. I don't think it will be too much trouble, the Haynes manual I have shows it as being a pretty easy task.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by sgelpel
I have a 2007 Toyota Camry that has intermittent instrument cluster problems. The Speedometer and Tachometer will cease to indicate proper readings and drop to zero. The tachometer will then bounce between zero and what I can only assume is a close approximation of the actual engine RPM. At the same time, the ABS and BRAKE warning lights illuminate and stay on for the duration of the "episode". These last anywhere from 10 seconds to 10 minutes. In the meantime, the car runs normally from what I can discern. I can be driving down the highway at 70 or sitting in the parking lot idling and these episodes occur. There are no other indications that something is amiss...no rough idling, no engine stalling, just the display. This is a 2007 Toyota Camry, 4 cyl, 5 spd automatic. I have inspected the transaxle input and output shaft sensors and they appear to be in good working order. There are no indications of oil buildup or broken/shorted wires. Connections all look good from what I can tell. HELP!
I am having this same problem has anyone figure out the solution?

Old 07-29-2013, 11:34 PM
Default ABS computer

I had the same problem with the dealership giving 3 possibilities. Without much confidence, I chose to buy an ABS computer unit from the local salvage yard and had my mechanic install it. Everything's good now.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:41 PM

Three capacitors are bad on the speedo cluster, and two capacitors are bad on the tach cluster. desolder and resolder new capacitors. more info on You tube showing process and capacitor source.