General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starter issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Default Starter issues

I have a 1994 Camry with almost 100k miles on it. My wife started the car (she mentioned it had a strange start), drove it a couple of miles, then went into a store. Came back out about 10 minutes later and turned the key. Nothing happened. We keep the lights on and they were strong, so there didn't seem to be a battery issue (there was no clicking from the starter, nothing). She tried a couple of times, then gave up. I came to get her and it started right up. I went through checking ground wires, etc, thinking it was an electrical issue. Then I put everything back together after finding nothing. I started it up, it sounded like maybe the starter had a disconnect when it started because it was like the starter engaged, then disengaged, then engaged again to start it, all in less than a couple of seconds. So I drove it around the block, came back and cut it off. I let it sit less than a minute, then tried to start it. Again, nothing. The lights were strong, no starter winddown (like a low battery not quite strong enough to turn the motor very fast), no clicking from the starter, just silence. I cut the key off, tried to start again, and it started right up. I then started it about 6 times, turning it off, turning the key off, then starting again. I couldn't replicate it.
Any ideas about what to try/check next?

Old 12-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Check the following:

Battery terminals and cable connectors for corrosion. Cable end terminals for damage, etc where they connect to the cables. The ground cable running from the battery to the chassis. There is also a ground cable connection running from the engine block to the chassis.

Might be the starter solenoid. Follow the large red cable from the battery to the starter solenoid. On the opposite side of the of the solenoid is short large cable running to the starter motor. There should also be small wire running to the solenoid.

If this not start issue happens again, remove the small wire from solenoid (should just pull off). Use a small diameter wire to jump between this SMALL terminal and the larger terminal the battery cable runs to. This should engage the solenoid. If nothing happens, the issue is the starter solenoid.

If the starter motor turns, the issue is the starter circuit. The ign key engages a starter relay that sends power through a Park/Neutral lockout switch or a clutch switch for stick shift trans. This switch needs to be engaged (trans in Park or Neutral) for a small starter relay to engage and send power to the solenoid coil. The P/N switch can go bad. Try starting the engine in Neutral.

If you have jumper cables, jump the large connector on each side of the starter solenoid. This will remove the solenoid from the circuit. If this engages the starter, the solenoid has problems or is not getting power from the ignition circuit to engage the solenoid coil.

If it is a solenoid, the issue is most likely the electrical contacts (a common issue). These can be replaced typically with the starter still on the engine (these are Toyota dealer only parts) or buy a new aftermarket solenoid.

If this is the problem, suggest replacing the contacts rather then buying a rebuilt starter (unless a Toyota factory rebuild or having a auto electrical shop rebuild it). The reason is these days third party rebuilds can be "junk" right out of the box.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Question Solenoid..???

Hey toyomoho..Is the solenoid the Piggy back one on the picture.?

Attached Thumbnails Starter issues-imag0124.jpg  
Old 04-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

The solenoid has the large stud type electrical terminals plus the small terminal having the wire small that pushes onto it.

The complete stater assembly has a gear box to reduce the RPM at the gear sticking out. The electric motor is the large housing, the gear box drives the gear that sticks out of the starter assembly.

The solenoid is behind the gear that sticks out and bolts to the back of the gear box.