General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Stop and tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Default Stop and tail lights

Hi New to the forum and hope to get help. I bought a 1992 Camry and found out the onlystop light that works is the 3 light and the tail light only the side makers works. I checked and changed the bulbs and still nothing. I replaced the 15 amp fuse as it was blown. Has anyone else had this trouble? Is there a fuseable link that I should be aware of?

I found a small yellow panel in the trunk that had lamp failure on it. I'm going to assume that is for the indicator light on the dash?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Stop and tail lights

The box is the light failure sensor unit. The high stop light may or may not bypass the light sensor unit, not sure.

Any fuseable link would be in front of the fuse. The high stop light is on the same fuse as the other brake lights.

There is both a 15A Tail and 15A Stop fuse.

Is the light failure indicator light on at the dash board?

If any of the front side marker lights work the tail light relay is working.

Both tail and stop lights run through the light sensor unit. It is possible for the sensor unit to fail.

For the tail lights, with tail light switch on when at the sensor unit determine if power is available at the Green wire (input power) and the light green wire (goes to tail lights).

For the stop lights, with brake pedal pushed (third light on), determine if power is available at the Green/White wire (input power) and Green/Red and Red (if sensor has this). Both wires are output to the stop lights.

Also check the grounding of the White/Black ground wires.

The Yellow wire goes to the Gauge fuse.

The Yellow/Green wire to the light warning bulb on the dash.

If power is not getting past the unit and the bulb and unit ground wires are OK, the unit may be bad. If so, it is expensive at the dealer thus most owners search the junk yards or just bypass the unit.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:49 PM

Thanks for getting back to me, Yes the sensor light in on the dash board, Yes all lights work in the front as well as the rear marker lights and lic. plate light. I just tested for power on the wires you suggested and yes I am getting power to everthing prior to the sensor. I found on this site you helped another person on how toby pass the sensor. I will give that try and see what happens. I will post my findings.

Do you know off hand what years are interchangeable on the lamp sensor? I know of where a 93 wagon is located and wondering if its the same.

Thanks again,

Old 08-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Generation 3 Camry ran 1992 to 1995, so start with these years. The 1999's have a differant wiring. Not sure of 1996-1998.

Wagon may have a slightly differant layout but the wire colors should be the same. Wire the unit up using the same color wires for Gauge, Stop and Tail power, etc.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:21 PM

Update,

I went ahead and by passed the sensor with 2 paper clips and works great. I am still trying to hunt one down from the wrecking yards. Dealer is asking too much money for one.

Again, Thanks to Toyomoho for great advise and tips on this repair.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

The small yellow box you speak of will cause this condition. I had to change one back in the day when I had my 89 camry. I forget what it is called but, I had the same issue and changed that yellow box fixed it! Should be cheap at the junk yard to.