General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

sway bar bushing install

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 10:06 AM
Smile sway bar bushing install

Hi - I have a 95 camry 2.2L DX sedan manual trans with 345K miles.
I am going to change out all the end links and sway bar bushings on both the front and rear.
My question is I have a Beck/Arnley front bushing kit which is black and appears to be rubber,
my rear bushings are Moog and are blue and Im guessing are made of a polyurethane.
Should I be using any type of white lithium grease or teflon tape when I install these or should
I leave them dry?
Thanks

Old 10-27-2016, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

If the installed bushings are in good shape but making noise. Some owners use grease or tape to quiet the noise.

Polyurethane will be stiffer bushing.

The Moog could just be blue colored rubber unless the specs say poly.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:17 AM

Project Update - I completed the front bushings and end links. I put white lithium grease on the rubber bushings. The hardest part of the job was the bolts on the bushing bracket that are close to the occupant area. It is so tight none of my small wrench's would fit plus there is a little lip on the bracket that doesnt help either. I ended up buying a 12 mm offset wrench and that worked to break loose the bolt and get it up to a certain point before that wrench wouldnt fit anymore.
8 Piece Metric Offset Box Wrench Set
I then had to purchase a cheap open end 12mm wrench and grind the head sides down so it would fit and have room to turn. The bolts were very rusted so I couldnt turn by hand. I replaced with new bolts on reassembly.
The links were OK to do, the first one I did I used an open end wrench and it was difficult to hold the 5mm allen and turn the nut. For the other side I went out and bought a pass through socket, this made removal much easier.

I am going to start the rear busing and links and I have a couple of questions.

1. Does the rear of the car need to have both tires off the ground to do the bushings and links or can I jack up one side at a time like the front?

2. I noticed on my replacement link there is a little mark of silver paint on one end of the link - does orientation matter for these links?
or can they go in either way?

Old 01-18-2017, 05:42 PM

Moog blue bushings are poly. It will give you hard riding but you may never have to replace the bushings again. I like the soft ride and I prefer OEM rubber bushings.

I do not think anything is required to put on when replacing bushings but if there are rust on the sway bar, where the bushing is on, then you may need to clean out the surface to be smooth as possible. But with the limited space there, I am not even sure if that would be possible. You want the bushing to grab the bar, not slip.

Also when installing the busing, the open end must not face the clamp end. At least that is what the instruction said when I was installing.