General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Temperature gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Default Temperature gauge problem

Hi all,

I have a 93 V6 camry. I been having this problem for a while and the car mechanic cant seem to trouble shoot it.

Whenever I use the AC and drive around, my
Temperature gauge goes up and can reach up to the 75% mark but never past it. Also when this occur, I hear a loud "vaccum" sound.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Old 06-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Default RE: Temperature gauge problem

I believe your car has a hydraulicly driven cooling fan that runs off the PS pump and uses PS fluid. I don't know if you have a separate electric fan that is used for extra cooling for the A/C system. If the hydraulic fan is not turning fast enough then you may get higher engine temps as the A/C use loads the cooling system. Do you also have a clutch fan on this car? If you do then you might want to check it as a defective one will not spin the fan fast enough for proper cooling. You may also have noticed you are not getting as good cold A/C air as well as higher engine temp. As for the vacuum sound?? I would checkthe PS fluid to make sure it is filled. If it is down this may also affect the operation of the cooling fan. This is all pretty simple stuff that a trained tech should have seen. Not sure if he covered all of this or not. Next thing I would look at is the condition of your rad. If it's marginal then the extra load of A/C could put it over capacity for cooling.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not very car literate, so I will talk to a car mechanic on a few things.

1. hydraulic fan
2. clutch fan
3. radiator
4. PS fluid

Now have a few questions, what is a PS fluid, and what if I continue to run this car in its current condition?

Old 06-18-2007, 04:03 PM

PS fluid - Power Steering Fluid

You should get the car running at proper temp. 3/4 won't do major damage but it will wear out the engine faster and if the system is not operating properly you are on the edge of overheating.