General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THUMP NOISE in the right rear of my Camry

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Default THUMP NOISE in the right rear of my Camry

Hi,

I am new to the Toyota world and I would like to ask you about following:

I have a 2002 Camry, 47k miles:

Problem #1: I am experiencing a thumping noise in the right rear of the car. It is really annoying. It seems to be better when it is warmer outside or when I drive the car for a longer period of time. I had two good technicians look at it, and they both said that all my bushings are fine, the struts seems to be fine, and I probably need new strut mounts. However, someone told me that they had the same problem, replaced the strut mounts and nothing has changed. Could someone help me please?

Problem #2: When I reach about 65mph, the car starts vibrating, it get better when going faster or slower. I had my tires rebalanced a it helped just a little bit... I am helpless now...

Thank you all for your help!

paul

Old 02-27-2007, 06:20 AM
Default RE: THUMP NOISE in the right rear of my Camry

Hey im kinda new to this too but i think i might be able to help ya a little. I have a 98 camry and i had the same problem i think well anyways i took it to my mechanic which works on nothing but toyota and he said that it is the bushing in your sway bar after awile on camry's the bushing starts to wear which causes it to knock so try that and i think you might solve your problem it worked on mine hope this helps ya!!!!!!

Old 03-08-2007, 09:48 PM

My 94 has bad rear strut mounts... they're worse in the cold and they bang a rattle over bumps, and the creek really loud when the suspension is compressed. I havent fixed them yet but I know for a fact thats my problem.

And #2: When I hitfrom 75-80 it vibrates likehell, from 90+ theres not vibration at all. My front tires were chopped badly. The tires werent round at all... looked like a stop sign when you looked at it from the side. Put 2 new tires on the frontand no more vibration.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:03 AM

Sounds like a tire coming apart or the belt in the tire has torn. Jack the suspected axle and rotate tire and look at the tread to see if it wobbles or has a dip or a flat spot.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-13-2007, 01:03 PM

Might sound stupid ...but check the security of the jack in the trunk...right side...it can cause a racket if not properly secured.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:34 AM

Hi,

After reading this I have decided that my car needs the bushings or the stabilizer arm links replaced. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to determine which needs it? The car is about sixteen years old, so it couldn't hurt to replace both, but at this time I'd rather not put out the money and still have the thumping.

Thanks,
Joseph

Old 05-29-2016, 08:41 PM

I have a 1995 Toyota Camry and I just ordered my rear links from Rock Auto and will install them next week. I am replacing them since when I was repairing the brakes I could grab them and easily twist side to side. It felt like I could yank them off if I tried. It's a little noisy sometime over bumps. They should be hard to turn. These are the originals. Oh, make sure you PB blaster them before removal. Makes life easier or cut the bolts, nuts off, not the sway bar.

You could also just replace the bushings but I am replacing everything.

I have a low end harbor freight grinder I have for occasional cutting of nuts and bolts. Works great.