General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Timing Belt Replacement 3.0 V6

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 01:22 AM
Default Timing Belt Replacement 3.0 V6

I'm just wondering how long people have been going before changing the timing belt on your Camrys? Or are you even bothering to change it at all? You always hear how important it is to have it changed after 60K. Visually, the belt looks good with no chunks missing. I told there may be no warning signs when it breaks. I've heard the horror stories about what happens if it breaks and the valves slam into the engine. I have an '01 with 106K.

I've gotten a few recommendations and price quotes. I have a quote for $550 from a non-Toyota shop. It's tempting to pay a few hundred more and have Toyota do it since they only know their own engines. It is recommended to change the water pump too since that area is already apart. Labor to change the pump alone is almost like the labor for the belt alone. I would want a Toyota brand pump installed since I've had no problems with the original. I might have the AC compressor changed too because the bearing make a squeaking sound when the AC is turned on and the accelerator is first pressed down.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Timing Belt Replacement 3.0 V6

Recommended change is 90K for non-severe service. This engine is interference ONLY IF it has variable valve timing which was available around 1999ish.

Suggest getting quotes from Toyota with and without water pump, as they may be much higher.

The A/C compressor has a magnetic clutch attached to the front. The clutch is what engages the pump when you push the A/C switch. The shop should be able change the clutch on the pump but my have to remove the compressor. Make sure the noise is not just the drive belt squeaking!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:17 PM

Thanks toyomoho! The more and more I research it, the more I read that the A/C compressor clutch and drive belt might very well be the answer. One interesting thing I remember reading - someone said if it squeaks when the A/C is off, there is a very good chance it's the bearings in the compressor because it is always spinning on the timing belt.

Interesting to note that I have rarely used the A/C over the last 6 years. Maybe 10 times per year. I use the defroster

Yes, I will a get quote for the timing belt with and without the water pump. Perhaps Toyota's labor is a separate charge for each part replaced. If Toyota's service quote is $300 more than my favorite non-Toyota shop, I'll take it there instead. I just assumed that with 106,000 miles it would be worth replacing. The chances of getting another 100k miles would be slim I thought. Then again, I don't know what kind of life people are getting out of their water pumps before they start leaking.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:25 PM

Thanks for the clarification on engine damage resulting from a broken timing belt. No variable valve timing (VVT) on Camry/Solara until after 2004 I believe. It's on the 2.4 and 3.3 engines. Honda was using it years before as "VTEC".

I'm not as worried about replacing the timing belt but will still do it.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:09 AM

I just wanted to say thanks to toyomoho for the advice/input. I did wind up finally having the major timing belt work done with 115K on the odometer (including timing belt, 2 engine seals, AC belts, and water pump) by a San Diego Toyota dealer. For some reason the price on timing belt replacement alone was much lower than previously quoted a year earlier - only $250 for a V6 Solara. I wonder if there was a simpler procedure recently developed for the belt replacement.

Also replacing AC belts DID fix AC squeak!!! No new compressor needed and no AC clutch!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds great!

The $250 is a good price, the cheapest ever heard about was $199 on a Toyota dealer coupon special.

The timing proceedure have stayed the same right up until Toyota replaced this engine with a chain drive.

The engine should be good to go until the next belt change is required in around 90Kmiles.

One other suggestion is to check the trans fluid. If never changed have a complete fluid change as this will go a long way toward preventing future trans problems. Fluid should be red or reddish, not black in color.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Thumbs up Timing belt change

One thing to remember is the water pump is right there and should be changed as a precaustion. Below is the RECOMMENDED list of part to replace when opening covers to change the timing belt. Save yourself some time and money and do it right the first time.
You will need to change all parts less the water pump anyway. Why spend the money later to change the water pump when everything is open with easy access. Save time and money....do it right...I did.

Timing belt

Tensioner Roller

Idler Roller

Water Pump

Power Steering Belt

Alternator & A/C Belts

Front Cam and Crank Seals

All the above parts can be purchased in kits or at a parts store. Toyota is far too expensive and OE parts are just as good as non-OEM. Just be sure your VIN is used to cross reference all parts. Toyota has a bad habit of changing parts mid to year end on some model. The 2003 V6 is one of them. I know this for a fact!

Good luck - Mike

Old 03-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Default '02 camry - V6 Engine with 181K miles

HI All:
I have a '02 Camry V6 with 181K miles on it and in good condition, can any one advise me at what miles I need to do timing belt replacement (1st time at 95K replaced timing belt) and what all the other parts/activities need to performed along with the timing belt change.
Thanks in Advance
JB Ga