General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tire pressure monitor 2012 Camry

Old 11-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Default Tire pressure monitor 2012 Camry

The dash screen displays 4 tires when 'tire monitor' display is activated. However, the owner's manual nor the screen indicates which tire (they are simply 4 tires in a roll with the psi listed under each) goes to which corner of the car. So if you have a tire 3 pounds below the other three, you have no idea which one it is. I hope if the pressure falls too low something will highlight the low tire. Is there a guide to which tire in the screen picture goes with which corner?

Old 11-30-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Have you read the owners manual?

3 psi may not be enough, something like 6 psi maybe.

The law requires detecting air pressure 25% below placard pressure.

What is the pressure in the other 3 tires, take 25% of this.
I read the manual, but you didn't read my question. Reread it. I want to know which tire symbol on the four tires in the air pressure monitor goes with which corner of the car. That's the question.

The air pressure monitor screen has four tire symbols showing in a line from left to
Eft to right. Each tire has a psi number under it. If the tires are ALL correctly inflated each tire symbol has a 35 showing below it. If, as an example, one tire has a one pound drop the number changes to 34 and so on. So if one is three pounds low, the number under one of the tire symbols will be 32. That's all well and good, but there is nothing on the monitor screen or in the Owner's Manual that tells me which tire on the car is at 32 pounds in the screen of four tires. That would be nice to know.

Last edited by dannose; 11-30-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:43 PM

I agree with dannose (original poster). I've searched my 2012 Camry manual to figure out which tire on the Tire Pressure Monitor belongs to which actual tire. Nothing there. I'm about ready to call my local Toyota dealer where I recently purchased the car for assistance in finding out. According to the manual, there is another type of TPM display that shows a picture of a car with tire pressure at each of the 4 corners identifiable. But it looks like with the standard Camry LE model, the display only shows tires in a straight line making it impossible to identify the tires.

But it's weird that with Toyota so meticulous in detail in getting everything right, this obvious information in tire identification from the display would be missing.

Last edited by Richard8655; 12-03-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:52 PM

Well, my dealer just got back to me on this. They said that all 2012 Camrys, no matter which model, have the same display type showing all 4 tires in a row. They also said it's not possible to know which tire pressure symbol on the display corresponds to which actual tire. That's because with tire rotation, the transponder would be out of synch with the display if it did show that.

So the answer is if 1 or more tires shows low on the display, you have to go out there and physically check each tire to find out which tire (or tires) needs more air.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Default They forgot...

My dealer confirms the inability to know which tire has what air pressure via the Tire Pressure Monitor Display. In fact, my dealer states the display reports the first tire sensor reporting its pressure and adds the pressures as each sensor reports. And they don't always report in the same order each time. So rotated or not, it is a guesser's guesting game at best. Someone fell asleep at the programming and display station on this one.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Default Same puzzlement as dannose

Just purchased a 2012 Camry LE 10 days ago and have been spending hours going through the manuals, especially the one dealing with the audio system displays. The tire pressure display seems bizarre, moreover it does not match either of the two types shown in the manual (not least of which is that both displays in the manual show the pressure for the spare tire too). One display in the manual shows the orientation of tires as if on a car, so one could tell which tire is faulty--so if the actual four-tires-in-a-row display can't show which tire is which because rotating the tires would screw things up, how is the fancy display showing the actual orientation supposed to work? Does that display have to be reset each time the tires are rotated? At the very least, Toyota could have the manual show the actual display and advise the owner that there is no correspondence between the display and the location of the tires.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Default popular question

I'm glad I'm not alone with this question. I came here looking for the answer and it appears there is no real answer to which symbol represents which tire. I see the logic with the dealers response, but why can other manufacturers systems specify location? Even my General Motors vehicles show the location of each specific tire.....

Old 10-04-2012, 06:40 PM

toyota doesn't tell you wish tire is wish , this is design like that to avoid to relearn the TPMS system every time a tire rotation is perform . some camrys will show 5 sensors usually are the xle,se models check if your spare have a sensor or a regular stam, the TPMS light will come on depends on how you set it or how was set during PDI servise .

how to set TPMS parameters ; fallow this to a theeth

set the tire pressures to your desire pressure or toyotas recomended setting found on the drivers side pillar label .
after set all the tires psi , look for the TPMS reset button ,found in most camry's on the left edge of the glove box frame ,or under steering wheel lower trim , hold TPMS reset button till TPMS light flash release button and leave the ing on (engine runninng is ok) for a lest 5 min ,TPMS system could take up to 10 min to re initialize .
now your TPMS light will come on after pressure drops more then 7psi from the pressure set before holding the reset button , if presures ware not set equal light will come on at diferent specs .

Old 10-04-2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by RKILPA
I'm glad I'm not alone with this question. I came here looking for the answer and it appears there is no real answer to which symbol represents which tire. I see the logic with the dealers response, but why can other manufacturers systems specify location? Even my General Motors vehicles show the location of each specific tire.....
GM TPMS system is one of the worst systems out there , needs relearn every time tire is put on a new location , presures can be off by 5psi and system won't see it .

Old 09-23-2017, 07:45 PM

My suggestion:
1. use a pressure gauge, preferably digital.

2. air up all the tires to the same pressure using the gauge.

3. let a whole crap load of air out of one, see which tire in the display is lower,
Make note of the location it is on your screen. Create a note card for your
glove box packet, proceed to use this process on the remaining 3 tire illustrations
which will end up showing which location each is. If your tires are rotated, repeat
the procedure. Only way I can think of to determine which is which.

Note card will be 1st display right front, 2nd display right rear, 3rd display left front,
4th display left rear.

May be different, but you get the idea.

All the best.