General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tranny Fluid Check

Old 03-26-2007, 09:49 AM
Default Tranny Fluid Check

My wife has a 99 Camry with an Auto and 4 Banger. What is the proper way to check the tranny fluid level. The owners manual doesn't show it. Do you do it in park with it warm or in neutral warm or is there another way. TIA

Old 03-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Default RE: Tranny Fluid Check

I'm surprised the owners manual does not explain how to check. There should be a cold and hot mark on the dip stick. I think it's always better the check level when engine is at full operating temp. Put car in park on level ground and idle to check level. As long as the level is between the cold and hot marks you're good. I would check to see if your differential has a separate level check and fill. That may have changed by 99 but you need to make sure. A local dealer should answer that for you.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:18 PM

1st take a short trip to a store or around the block 2 or 3 times. This will allow the transmission and engine to warm up. Once thats done park on a level surface and check the transmission fluid. It should be at the hot mark and or right below it. Inbetween works also. If not add fluid recommended by the dealership. Once its been added go thru the gear 10 seconds each all the way down and back up. Then check and add if needed til it reaches the proper mark. If the fluid you check is red or pinkish its in good shape if its brown it needs to be changed . You can easily do this yourself, your owners manual will tell you how much fluid your transmission holds. Itsusually around 3or 4 quarts per drain and fill. Some times more or less .. You can use this same technique if you change it as well.
If the fluid is black you should seek a good service center to assist you. When doing a drain and fill you should change the transmission filter as well. Another way of going about this is getting a trans flush . Most garages will do this at a reasonable price.

I believe the differential feeds off the transmission in most automatic fwds perhaps im mistaken.

Note: do not overfill transmission. always remember its easier to add then subtract fluids

Old 03-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

basically what 05cam said is completely right.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:16 PM

Actually, for 4 cylinders, the differential does not share fluid with the transmission, only on 6 cylinders.

The differential is checked by removing the fill plug, located on the rear facing wall of the differential, and filling until fluid runs out. It's a big PAIN IN THE BUTT!

I only know because I just did this, as part of a fluid change out.

Snedecor