General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-28-2015, 11:48 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

transmission fluid change question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Default transmission fluid change question

my tranny fluid in my 1992 camry is black. The toyota dealer advised me being my car has 147k miles, they never ever do a full tranny flush. They do a drain and fill, that is it. Well, if that is all they do for 79.99, I can do that myself. My question is, I do not know what type of fluid is currently in there beside BLACK so what type of fluid should I put in it? Is there a brand that is sort of universal? Should I buy it from toyota or can I get it at a parts store? From my research, a drain and fill should be about 2.6 quarts of fluid.

Thanks for the info in advance.

Craig

Old 08-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

The trans used Dexron II and later on III which are no longer available under these names. Now called something like ATF fluid. It's red in color and commonly available at auto parts store, department stores, etc. No need to buy it from the dealer.

Read the label on the bottle, should state the product is a replacement for the Dexron II and III products. Or ask the auto store staff (and confirm by reading the label).

Note:Today a number of trans fluids are used and they are not all the same. Make sure you get the right one.

Draining and refilling will help but the fluid will soon turn black as 2/3 of the fluid is in the torque converter. You will need to repeat this process a number of times and the fluid may still be black after a short time.

If you have the skills you can bleed out the fluid with the engine running (in Park) by disconnecting the trans fluid return line at the trans that comes from cooler on the radiator.

Drain the trans pan and fill with new fluid.

Disconnect the line and allow the fluid to bleed out as stated above. Allow about 2 quarts to bleed out into a container.

Refill and repeat the process until the fluid is clean, about 8-10 quarts.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:24 PM

Heck no I don't have the skills.
I appreciate the info. I will drain and put fresh back in it. I do understand that the new will soon become black. I was thinking that when I change the oil again, I will also do another drain and fill. I will do both every 3k till the fluid start turning red and staying that way for the most part.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

If going this approach suggest shorting the change intervals.

Black trans fluid is very bad. Worn out trans fluid is the No 1 cause of trans failure, you want the old fluid out and the new in ASAP.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:17 AM

so, if this was your car, would you just go ahead and do a total full flush on it? I just want to do the right thing and being you mentioned black fluid can cause failure, I don;t have anything to lose.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

You could buy a case of trans fluid and change the pan fluid when convenient but with the goal of getting out as much old fluid ASAP. Putting 12 new quarts into the trans 2 & 1/2 quarts at a time should get out much of the old fluid.

Still, having done the above the fluid is typically still black.

Changing all the fluid at once typically results in the fluid being red and staying red or reddish (in good condition) until changed again at around 25K miles.

If you have a shop do this job tell them you just want a complete fluid exchange. Sometimes shops want to add chemicals to clean out the trans, you don't want any chemicals run through the trans as this can cause problems.

Just the old fluid removed and new added, nothing else.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The trans used Dexron II and later on III which are no longer available under these names. Now called something like ATF fluid. It's red in color and commonly available at auto parts store, department stores, etc. No need to buy it from the dealer.

Read the label on the bottle, should state the product is a replacement for the Dexron II and III products. Or ask the auto store staff (and confirm by reading the label).

Note:Today a number of trans fluids are used and they are not all the same. Make sure you get the right one.

Draining and refilling will help but the fluid will soon turn black as 2/3 of the fluid is in the torque converter. You will need to repeat this process a number of times and the fluid may still be black after a short time.

If you have the skills you can bleed out the fluid with the engine running (in Park) by disconnecting the trans fluid return line at the trans that comes from cooler on the radiator.

Drain the trans pan and fill with new fluid.

Disconnect the line and allow the fluid to bleed out as stated above. Allow about 2 quarts to bleed out into a container.

Refill and repeat the process until the fluid is clean, about 8-10 quarts.
Hi Toyomoho,
I would like to flush trans fluid. There are two outlines from the radiator bottom. Which one is the inlet to trans ? Thanks

Last edited by jasperchan; 11-27-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Default Changing transmission fluid on 1992 Toyota

I have a toyota 1992 150,000 miles. I am the second owner. The transmission fluid never was change. It is not dark but I noticed now that I have a slight leak around the pan. An autoshop and also the Toyota dealer refuses to change the oil and filter. They said it may ruin my transmission. I was also told that the new transmission fluid has some detergents in it that can ruin the transmission. Do any of you recommend that if I change the filter and seal that I filter the oil out and put it back or go a head and get the OEM Toyota oil and replace it.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

How do you know the fluid was never changed, fluid with this many miles is typically black and can be thick.

If the car has a 4 cylinder engine the trans design has separate fluid chambers for the differential and transmission. If the leak is from the diff and not trans itself the trans dip stick will not indicate low fluid as a result of the leak. If the diff runs out of fluid it will ruined. Typical leakage areas is the seal where the axle goes into the diff housing.

Draining the pan removes only 1/3 of the fluid quantity in the trans the rest is in the torque converter. Would not reuse old fluid. You are only changing 1/3 of the fluid.

You need not use Toyota brand fluid. The dipstick will have the fluid type stamped on it. If Dexron II or III these have been discontinued however auto stores will have a replacement. Make sure you read the container and check with the counter person as there are many types of ATF fluid and you don't want to use the wrong one.

If you never change the fluid the trans is going to fail. Dirty, worn out fluid is the number one cause of trans failure.

You can over time to a pan drain and refill which in theory should be easier on the trans clutch plates.

Your situation is common. Suggest doing an internet search to find hits and opinions then make a more informed decision. This issue of not changing the fluid if the current fluid has never changed and has high miles is more of a theory then a fact. Would speculate the shops don't want to be held responsible if for some reason the trans does fail after they work on it.

Yet not changing the fluid is going to cause failure.

Last edited by toyomoho; 12-10-2012 at 08:25 PM.