General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

??? ON TSB/RECALLS///

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Default ??? ON TSB/RECALLS///

Hey everyone...
I wanted tothrow this out there to all. I am a Toyota/Scion Certified technician that works at Balise Toyota in Warwick, RI. See my outlook is "knowledge is power" if anyone has questions on possible TSB/WARRANTY/RECALL issues....fire away. I generally enjoy forum chats and currently are on the pruis/fj/4runner chats as well. So if there is anyone that has a question...let me know!! [sm=hia.gif]

Old 03-06-2008, 12:33 AM
Default RE: ??? ON TSB/RECALLS///

I have a 2003 Camry 4 cyl. that has a faulty block. About a year ago I had a head gasket leak which it turned out was caused by the threads in the block pulling out and letting 3 head bolts on the rear of the engine lose their torque so the gasket lost it's seal. I had the work done at a certified shop because I couldn't get it in to the dealership. They said because it wasn't taken apart at a toyota dealership there was nothing they could do. This is a problem that we have seen show up on this site numerous times. can you help?

Buffitz
Dennis Fitzgerald

Old 03-06-2008, 12:31 PM

I have read of a TSB for dashboard rattles on 07 Camrys. Does this TSB apply to 08 Camrys? And, do you know of a TSB on rattles from the post between the passenger side doors on 08's when it is cold out?

Old 03-06-2008, 03:04 PM

ORIGINAL: ToyotaTech38026

I wanted tothrow this out there to all. I am a Toyota/Scion Certified technician that works at Balise Toyota in Warwick, RI. See my outlook is "knowledge is power" if anyone has questions on possible TSB/WARRANTY/RECALL issues....fire away.
Thank you very much!

Old 03-06-2008, 04:50 PM

Buffitz- I have heard of this in the past..we had a '04 highlander 4cylinder do the SAME thing...toyota covered that under the 5year 60,000 mile warranty. When we did the engine it got a NEW toyota long Block(came with heads, internals already installed and balanced) so we had no further problems. That block has itownwarranty for 3 years and is now covered under the customers extended warranty until 120,000 miles. Unfortunately if the repair weren't done at a toyota dealership...even thoughthe engine was a fault of toyotas they will not cover/compensate any repairs/costs [:'(]...kinda sucks but atleast toyota knows that the techs they spendtons of money on in training knows what to do/what parts to use to prevent a situation like this

Old 03-06-2008, 04:52 PM

holimont-some are applied to that TSB...the ONLY way i could tell is if you'd want to PM me your VIN.....is the noise a tapping/rattling//like a plastic/on/plastic noise? Do you hear it from the center/top of your dash?

Old 03-06-2008, 04:56 PM

Buffitz- Oh yea if I didn't answer you question....at the factory there was a quality control issue under assembly with the head-to-block torquing. The Computerized machines were programmed to torque to heads down properly but it was in question the thread on the head bold were improper thread/size for the engines. As you experienced...a few engines slipped through

Old 03-06-2008, 06:34 PM

buffitz, I would take ToyotaTech38026's answer plus additional research and the receipts from the shop that did the work and talk to a lawyer about possible small claims action, either Toyo or dealership. There may also be a "secret warranty" on this at Toyo.You mayalso get possible relief through your state laws and AGs office on this. If Toyo had a QC problem and your shop identifieda failure related to that QC problem you may have a case. Can't hurt to try.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:56 AM

Holi -My 07 Camry had that dash rattle, and when it was in for the vibration thing mentioned on other threads, I mentioned it to the tech.

Was more intended to advise them that it drives me nuts, than actually have them fix it.

It only happens when it's cold, and it's the center half moon shaped piece with the clock and airbag light etc... that's on top of the dash.

They took it out, put some felt along the seams/clips, and poof, away went the rattle.

It also goes away when the car warms up.

Just the plastic slightly moving against the other piece of plastic....

Old 03-07-2008, 01:00 AM

Ok Toyotech...

There's another post on another thread about turn signal lights on an '07 Camry.

From what I understand, it's the front ones.

Someone needs to replace the bulbs.

They've been told you have to remove the front bumper.

I find that completely ridiculous, and in no way believe that you have to remove a bumper to replace a flippin' $2.00 light bulb.

My '07 Camry has the bulbs right in the light assembly with the headlight. I have not had time to look into popping it off to see about getting at the bulbs yet.

Thought I'd ask you.

They really make you take a bumber off? LOL There's no way.....lol

Quick Reply: ??? ON TSB/RECALLS///