General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VSC, Traction Control and Check Engine lights all on

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Default VSC, Traction Control and Check Engine lights all on

Vehicle: 2008 Camry SE-V6

I was on the off-ramp two days ago, and as I slowed, the VSC, Traction Control and Check Engine lights all came on simultaneously. The road was dry, not slippery and I was slowing gradually without braking. The lights stayed on as I drove. Although it was after hours for my Toyota dealer, there was an auto service center with extended hours nearby. In the shop parking lot I turned off the engine and then restarted. The Check Engine light stayed on but the VSC and Traction Control lights did not come back on. The shop read the fault code as P2197 (Oxgen Sensor Signal, Bank 2 Sensor 1) and told me the car was safe to drive until I could get it into the dealer.

Today, The VSC and Traction Control lights came back on (along with the Check Engine light which is on all the time) and now they come on every time I start moving. I checked traction control and it is not working. The wheels spin up on ice just like a car with no traction control. I haven't tried VSC but I'm assuming its NFG as well. I have an appointment to bring it in but I'd like to have some idea if this is a common fault or a fluke.

Anyone have an experience like this or know of one?

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: VSC, Traction Control and Check Engine lights all on

The computer may be programmed to turn other systems off to reduce engine strain if the CEL is on.

Once the cause of the CEL is fixed the other systems should reset.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The computer may be programmed to turn other systems off to reduce engine strain if the CEL is on.

Once the cause of the CEL is fixed the other systems should reset.
You were right. The shop reports a failed O2 sensor and the VSC/TRAC systems are shut down in response.

They can't even repair it because it is such a widespread failure that the sensor has been backordered for more than 2 weeks! I have seen similar threads of discussion on the Avalon and Tundra forums as well. So I've got no Traction Control or VSC during the worst part of winter!

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update.