General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

warming up the engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Default warming up the engine

guys for how long you need to run the engine before driving ? and does giving it some gas make it faster and a propriate thing to do ??
what do you think ?
i live in NJ and its cold here some times in the early morning around 30" and soon will hit 20, 10 and maybe 0 .
sam

Old 11-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Default RE: warming up the engine

There's generally no warm up time required- althoughthe general rulesuggestsyou take it easy for the 1st few minutes until the engine reaches operating temps.

JJ

Old 11-18-2007, 02:37 PM

there's no warm up period required however i idle the engineapproximately 10 seconds prior to driving just for good measure.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:28 AM

I generally will let the engine idle for a short bit even in the summer if the engine is cold. It will range from just a few seconds (5-10) in summer to maybe one minute when very cold (freezing or below). Longer periods simply waste fuel, but if the family is getting in the car and it is 20F outside I will let it run for a coupld minutes before they get in justto get the heat going. There is no hard fast rule for today's cars, mostly common sense.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:02 AM

ORIGINAL: flyerI

I generally will let the engine idle for a short bit even in the summer if the engine is cold. It will range from just a few seconds (5-10) in summer to maybe one minute when very cold (freezing or below). Longer periods simply waste fuel, but if the family is getting in the car and it is 20F outside I will let it run for a coupld minutes before they get in justto get the heat going. There is no hard fast rule for today's cars, mostly common sense.
I agree with this advice. In fact, it's exactly what I do with my cars.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:05 PM

1 min. tops in any weather. - it won't shift out of 2nd gear until its warmed up. No its not a good idea to gas it because the drastic temperature change between the outer block and the inner block where the combustion occurs might/could/will weaken it over time.

Longer periods of warm-up time will equate to cold suspension/tires.. in turn will damage those components over time.

Meet it in the middle and warm up the car w/light driving so engine and suspension along with tires will be on even grounds when you smash the gas pedal on the freeway.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:44 PM

I usually give it about 30 seconds. Usually I just wait for the RPMs to drop to about 1000. That also helps avoid the car jerking into gear. I do have remote start that I use for the temp inside because its cold as ice out here, plus I got it last year when my son was born. On my BMW there is no warm up needed. Just get in and drive normally, per the manual.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:50 PM

When you 1st wake up how dow you feel. Still tired and sluggish?Im usually cold but thats me.Same thing here. Give it a change to wake up. No need to be a drill sarg on a cold engineThats my .02$

Old 12-24-2007, 02:11 AM

Consider this a refund on your two cents. What are you talking about?

Old 12-25-2007, 02:06 AM

im referring to the engine warm up post. saying letting the engine warm up slightly or fully is better than not at all. or atleast take it easy on it. (example you stretch when your warming up for a game so you dont pull something, so why not warm up the engine for pete sakes)

Quick Reply: warming up the engine