General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wet Passanger Floor...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Default Wet Passanger Floor...

I just bought this car on tuesday. 2001 Camry LE. I noticed Wednesday morning that the passanger floor was wet. It was raining the night before a little, but the floor was pretty wet. I have been using the A/C since I bought it cause it has been very hot out.

Two things I can think of that could be causing this problem.

First...Condensation hose is disconnected and coming into cab.

Second...Windshield could potentialy have a leak and coming in from behind dash.

Has anyone ever experiance this? I would appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer.

P.S. This is not anti-freeze. Ruling out the heater core being its clear odorless fluid.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Default RE: Wet Passanger Floor...

i'd dry out the carpet, run the air and feel around under the dash for drips. And then take the hose to the windsheild too. If the glass were leaking there's often signs of it inside the car, like on the dash and stuff. if you hear wind noise as you drive with the windows up, this is a good sign the windows could be leaking.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:04 PM

this happens on my 2002 camry and it's been driving me nuts.

It's not the windshield, i am postive of that.
It's definetely A/C condensation coming in the interior. In fact the entire passenger side of my car has like an inch of water...i am so annoyed!

any idea how to fix this???

Old 07-24-2006, 11:54 PM

Find out exactly where the leak is coming from. I mean to the point where you can physically see the water dripping onto the floor. If the windshield isnt leaking, then you have a pile of work in front of you. Its likley that you will have to pull the HVAC box, which requires you to remove the entire dash. Thats why I think you should be 100% positive as to where the water is coming from. There maybe a puncture in the evaporator drain tube, or something you can fix without yanking the dash. Cut the car on, A/C on full blast and lay on the pass. floor with a flashlight and find out where this leak is coming from.

-Jason

Old 07-25-2006, 04:07 PM

Problem Solved.

After inspecting all a/c parts I found that there is a drain hose that is located in the upper left area of the passenger side cabin. The drain hose goes through the floor board of the car and allows water from the a/c (and possibly rain water,etc) to drain.
This hose was no longer fitted through the floor board of the car, and instead had come out and was emptying all drain water into the cabin of the car (under the carpet).
Simply putting the hose back through the rubber grommet and through the floor board has solved the problem.

However I took the fix one step further so this doesn't happen again. I secured the end of the tube (that is visible under the car) with a small metal ring so that it cannot accidentally come back out of the grommit. I suspect a rock or some other object hit the end of the tube while driving and dislodged the tube from the floor board and through the grommit. Or some how the tube was accidentally kicked by a passenger and wiggled out of the grommit.

Either way, this is a terrible design by Toyota for several reasons, and one that could have been easily prevented.
-it is an extremely poor design to have drain water go into the cabin of the car ...when the drain could have easily been placed in the engine bay. What if the tube became brittle w/ age and sprung a leak?
-the was nothing securing the end of the tube that exited the floor board of the car. A simple plastic piece would have fixed this issue and prevented it from ever occuring in the first place.

Last, I work on jeeps quite a bit. I have to say i am not impressed w/ the manner in which the japanese cars are put together. Everything uses small plastic fasteners that break easily and become brittle w/ age. Whatever happened to using metal bolts, nuts, and screws? Jeeps use all metal parts, not a ton of plastic crap!

Old 07-25-2006, 04:11 PM

I took photos of the tube, etc ...i'll post them tommorrow.

hope this helps others from paying someone hundreds of dollars for a simple fix.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:53 PM

sorry, I can't figure out to post photos ...if you want to see them email me at: eR1c_c1Re@yahoo.com and i'll send them to you!

stupid forum... wtf???

[IMG]local://upfiles/1093/F5FE5D634A5D47D49FD68EA69CA4D035.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1093/654CD9FB66C4445AAB8482891D214673.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1093/F796438290A049EF826662D5F34ED899.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1093/3EE99D664F4B4A75ABC90090F0D0B422.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-15-2016, 02:35 AM
Default video link

I know this is an old thread, but my 2003 Camry did the same thing. I am pretty sure that the AC drain hose was pushed up into the front floorboard from beneath (in a similar way). It could just as easily have been a blockage. When I investigated the front floorboard, it turned out to be saturated. Problem is that the carpet is waterproofed from beneath, and there is no way to tell it is wet. The water easily spilled into the back floorboard. I took everything apart and filmed it. The results can be found here:

Old 06-17-2016, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

Good video, thanks for sharing.
I have been down this road before too. The drain hose got pushed back inside the car and filled it up with water.
I didn't strip everything out but I think that should be done to dry things out properly.
I removed the drain plugs in the floor boards, put a stick under the car and up through the drain holes to push up on the carpet, and rolled down the windows. I basically let the car air dry. I did shoot some Lysol in there too to take care of any yucky stuff from growing.
I was lucky though and caught it in time before the yuck could happen.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:21 AM

Good vid indeed. The same problem with buddy's Camry being the floorboard didn't let water noticed underneath and caused good rust.