General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

When to change transmission oil??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Default When to change transmission oil??

When should I change the transmission oil for a 2003 and 1995 Camry?

Old 04-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Default RE: When to change transmission oil??

On my 02 V6 Camry, i change it like once a year/25,000. Maybe someday i will pull the pan and clean the strainer but it works fine so im not tearing into that anytime soon. Toyota says use only toyota T IV fluid, from the dealer, and no other. Its 4 bucks a quart but only takes like 3 or 4 qts for a change.

For the 1995, id wanna know how many times this car had its fluid changed, if ever. Id say change it every 30,000 miles. If its never had its fluid changed then maybe you shouldnt, or if you do do it gradually so it doesnt free up all the dirt inside all at once.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:57 AM

Is there a drain plug on an '03 Camry V6? I haven't done mine and need to.

Thanks

Old 02-11-2007, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

30,000 miles drain and fill.

there shoud be a hex type bolt on the tranny pan, which is next to the oil pan.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:55 AM

Just changeing the trans pan oil will not drain the entire system. You need to either use the specialized equipment available in some shops to flush and replace or you need to do it yourself. DIY takes a helper and is more involved but a lot cheaper. Don't forget that the differential,it has to be drained and filled separately.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

A flush by a machine is very effective and good, so long as you've soemwhat kept up with the change intervals. I tried flushes on two cars, afterwards it overfills the tranny like mechanics do on reg. drain and fills. But the fluid stays cleaner for much longer.
For the camry I believe the diff and tranny fluid are drained and filled at the same place. I could be wrong but i think thats what my manual says.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:24 PM

ORIGINAL: nodrogkam
For the camry I believe the diff and tranny fluid are drained and filled at the same place. I could be wrong but i think thats what my manual says.
I would checkyour manual. My 95 4 cyl'd has a separatedifferential level check/drain/fill than that of thetransmission. My Haynes Manual does not differentiate from the 4 or V6 on this. Later years may have a combined trans/diff fluid.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:28 PM

We change or flush every30k since there is no filter and the entire system doesn't hold that much. Be sure to use the fluid the manufacture recommends, I mean read the lable before u dump the fluid in. Reason for changing so much is because of no filter and v-6 is a little tougher on that trans.

[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-12-2007, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: tim96460

We change or flush every30k since there is no filter and the entire system doesn't hold that much. Be sure to use the fluid the manufacture recommends, I mean read the lable before u dump the fluid in. Reason for changing so much is because of no filter and v-6 is a little tougher on that trans.

[align=left] [/align]
perfectly stated.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:04 PM

Is there a fill plug for the transmission? This is a 2003 V6.

Someone told me I have to fill it through the dipstick - is this true?

Quick Reply: When to change transmission oil??