General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Windshield Wiper Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 12:20 AM
Default Windshield Wiper Problem

1998 Camry LE - Windshield wipers do not work on "intermittent". Also, the wipers work fine when turned on - however they stop in place (usually in the middle of the windshield) the instant the switch is turned off. Does this mean I'll have to replace the wiper motor or is there possibly a fix to correct the problem?
Thanks for any help.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Default RE: Windshield Wiper Problem

Sounds like the stalk switch? Before changing it it might be worth a try to clean the contacts inside it, the ones inside the steering column at the very end of the stalk. Also sometimes switches can be fixed by soldering.
If none of this is a fix maybe you can find a replacement at the junk yard for cheap. I know they charge a $$$mint at the dealer and this is the only other place you can find the part.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:27 PM

Sorry to bring up this old thread but my sister gave my kid her old camry (98 LE) with the same problem. I bought a used switch off ebay, which was claimed to have worked...but same problem as before. Did i get taken for a ride by my ebay purchase or is there a relay or fuse that could be causing the problem.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-27-2007, 06:11 AM

It sounds likethe park switch inside the motor housing. It prevents the wiper from stopping until it reaches park postion at the bottom of the sweep. I also think that if the part switch does not work then the intermittent timer will not engage. Not sure if you can buy a new switch, clean/fix the existing or just have to replace the motor. You'll have to remove motor and inspect/test switch.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:37 PM

Thanks Pedro...I'll give it a shot (cleaning the motor and the switches inside.)

I'll try to find a used motor if that doesn't work.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:29 AM

This guy repaired his intermittent wiper problem on his Toyota by replacing the motor. He also broke the failed motor down and took pics of the control module.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:58 PM

How do you access the wiper motor on a '98/'99 Camry? It looks like there is a black cover over the cowl that needs to be removed. Does anyone know the step to properly remove it (if that is the appropriate access)?

Old 10-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Default same question

I have the same question. How do you access the wiper motor in a 98 Camry? Sounds like replacing the motor is pretty straightforward, but how do you get to it?

Thanks,

Tom C

Old 01-22-2012, 06:29 PM

I guess the world may never know.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Default Yes, I was right

For me (and I'm sorry I didn't come back to respond to this question) it was under the black cowl.

The rubber gasket on the cowl that goes from one end of the hood to the other also needs to come off. It's just help on by plastic fasteners. If I were to do it again I'd be careful to use a needle nose pliers to squeeze the bottom end of the fasteners together. (I broke a number, but Lowe's had some I used as replacements. Had to cut them down a bit with a wire cutter. Toyota also carries them.) There are about 10 as I recall.

The motor was on the drivers side. When you get the cowl off watch the positioning of the arm (linkage). I'd make a mark if I were doing it again so I could re-align it the same. I didn't get mine back perfectly so when on intermittent the wipers move back up about a 1/4 of an inch - and I don't want to go to the effort to remove things when it's that close.

The motor was in front of the drivers side.

Good luck.

Tom C

PS Now I remember why I didn't come back to respond. I ended up a couple of weeks later in the hospital for back surgery, not to say this contributed to it. But, things went well in the hospital although I'm about 1/2 inch shorter - bummer.

Last edited by twcinnh; 01-23-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper Problem