Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Replacing Charcoal Canister in my 01 Camry and Can't Find The Vapor Pressure Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:26 PM
Default Replacing Charcoal Canister in my 01 Camry and Can't Find The Vapor Pressure Sensor

I am replacing it with a used canister off a 2000 Camry V6 and I am installing it in my 2001 Camry 4 cylinder. I was rushing when I unplugged all the hoses, so I'm not quite sure where the last ones plug back in.

My issues:
1. The '00 canister has a connector which I cannot find for the life of me where to plug in under the car. I believe this is the vapor pressure sensor which you can see here: http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/5t4...ode-p0440.html
2. There are also 2 hoses attached to this piece and I don't remember where one of them is supposed to connect to.

Is it possible that the '00 v6 canister has this connector but the '01 4 cylinder doesn't?

Here is an album of photos with details of everything I mentioned here:
'00 Camry V6 charcoal canister confusion - Imgur

Old 04-18-2014, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

For 2001, separate canisters are listed for Japan and US built cars. You sure you have the right part?

If you look closely at the two canisters they appear to have the similar components but with a slightly different layout.
----------------
For both canisters, the large short hose connecting to nothing is a drain. This hose connects to the fresh air drain valve molded into the canister.

There are two smaller hose connections on the fresh air drain valve. One connects to a VSV (for canister closed valve) then routes to the air cleaner side of the throttle body.

The other connects to both the drain valve and a VSV (for EVAP), then routes to the engine intake side of the throttle body. This hose might tee off in needing to connect to two canister ports.
---------------
Another large hose routes between the canister and the pressure relief valve on the gas tank (a mechanical valve). Relief valve also connects to fuel filler tube.

A smaller hose coming off the same area of canister routes to a VSV (for pressure switching valve) then back to canister.
--------------
Another hose routes between the canister and connects direct to top of gas tank.
-------------
All (3) VSV's and (1) vapor pressure sensor require an electrical connection. The vapor pressure sensor will have on only 1 hose, a VSV will have at least 2 hoses.

Suppose if you have more wire plugs then places to plug them in the VSV may be in the engine compartment. Or the plugs have changed.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:02 AM

Thanks for the response. It was off a USA built camry - the VIN started with a 4.

I was hoping someone could take a picture of their camry's charcoal canister and vapor pressure sensor with everything connected. Preferably an 01 4 cylinder so I could visualize it much easier.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Parts car and your car were both US built?

The link below has a little bit of everything on Toyota EVAP systems including your car. Click on the smaller photos until you find your system, including photos in large black box.

Suggest putting old system back together first and marking all connections, then swapping hose and connections one for one. Even if the replacement canister is correct, you have two different canisters. It is not going to be a one for one swap.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2001...36%3B550%3B459

Old 04-18-2014, 12:13 PM

Yes, both US built.

I figured out that the connector was already on the car... that's why I was confused lol. So everything is figured out and all the hoses have their place, but I still don't know where the splitter found in the bottom image here goes: '00 Camry V6 charcoal canister confusion - Imgur
... or if it's even needed at all?

Old 04-18-2014, 12:36 PM

Maybe it is this? it is only like 4 inches long though

http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/56p...same-code.html

Old 04-18-2014, 12:51 PM

Hm, so I noticed that on the drain hose of the '01 canister i had before, there's an extra connector on the side of it where this 3way splitter hose connects to. This isn't present on the '00 drain hose... Should I use the '01 drain hose on the '00, or just not use this 3way splitter at all and see if the codes don't come back?

Thanks

Old 04-19-2014, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Makes sense.

The older unit had a hose fitting attaching to the same air camber as the drain hose. The newer may have the fitting attach to the drain hose. Both appear to function the same.

Worth a try. Post back with what happens.