New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

92 Camry transmission overdrive troubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Default 92 Camry transmission overdrive troubles

Anyone had my problem?

We have owned our'92 LE (4cyl) since it was new and have kept very good care of it (love this car, 16 years and going strong!). But as of late itdeveloped tranny trouble that led to a meltdown with the overdrive (burned fluid and would not shift intoODanymore.). I ended up having to replace the transmission at about 135000 mi. So I have a nice rebuilt one now, but....

It's new (?) problem seems to be mostly when the car is cold it does not want to go into or stay inOD. In the morning I'll be driving to work on the highway and after about 5 mi. it will go into OD and humm along at 2100 RPM 55 mph) as it normally does, but then a few miles later I notice it will drop out of OD racing the engine to 3100 and not go back for a while. I'm on the flat and level and it does run okay in the afternoon when it is warmer out and the car has warmed up. Any ideas what gives? I suspect a computer/electronics issue since I am confident the tranny itself is good. The Toyota Dealer suggested bringing it in for a diognostic (he didn't seem too confident about where to start).

(Interesting footnote: My negihbor had an identical '92 that was submerged in a flood. I ended up with it and scrapped it out for usualbe parts, and I gotta saythese cars were built great! I've got lots of extra stuff now to keep mine going (lamps, doors, bumper, etc.) and it's taking me a while to cut up the rest of the body using a plazma cutter. This one had 243,000 miles with a new tranny in it and would have keep going for at least another 100,000 if it had not been flooded)

Old 05-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Default RE: 92 Camry transmission overdrive troubles

okay so just to give us an idea, what parts have you used from the submarine(dont mind me I just woke up) because it very well may be an electrical issue and if you borrowed a component having to do with the transmission then we may be able to narrow the issue down.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

You can download any trans trouble codes stored in the computer.

Find the diagnostic plug located in the engine compartment, passengers side near the strut tower. A small plastic box. Open the lid and you will see electrical terminal, under the lid is the terminal key. Turn ign on but don't start engine, push in O/D switch, connect terminals TE1 and E1 inside the box with a jumper wire.

If codes are stored the O/D light will flash a two numeral number, one numeral at a time. Such as 4 flashes, pause, 2 flashes and a longer pause; for code 42. The computer will output all codes stored, then repeat the codes.

If no codes are stored the light will flash 2 times per second.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:05 PM

ORIGINAL: toyomoho

Find the diagnostic plug located in the engine compartment, passengers side near the strut tower. A small plastic box. Open the lid and you will see electrical terminal, under the lid is the terminal key. Turn ign on but don't start engine, push in O/D switch, connect terminals TE1 and E1 inside the box with a jumper wire.

If codes are stored the O/D light will flash a two numeral number, one numeral at a time. Such as 4 flashes, pause, 2 flashes and a longer pause; for code 42. The computer will output all codes stored, then repeat the codes.

That is some good info to know! thanks for enlightening us.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:34 PM

ORIGINAL: toyomoho

Okay, I fianlly got to trying this. Got the two blinks/per second response. So, I guess that means no codes.[&:]

Last week I got my car in for a radiator flush and told the Toyota mech about my issue. He said he tightened up the cable that runs from the throotle assembly to the tranny -- it was way loose and was supposed to have only 1mm slack in it. Made no change. She still drops out of overdrive in the morning even after about 5 mi intown driving and then 5 on the highway. Strangely it behaves in the afternoon coming home when it is a little warmer out.

Also I hear/feel a littlea clunk when I shift into reverse. That's new. Any thoughts on either issue?

Old 05-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

The clunk could be worn engine mounts, transmission wear.

What does the trans fluid look like, red or black and is it filled to the correct amount?

The O/D is controlled by a electric solenoid via the computer. The O/D will not engage unless the coolant temp is over a certain temp. Might be the solenoid, coolant sensor or wiring.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:30 PM

were di find the coolant tempreture solinoid

Old 12-04-2011, 07:14 PM

were di find the coolant tempreture solinoid
are you looking for purchase? try to go to local shop near your place. I rarely see that stuff here.