New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Adding Horsepower to a 1994 Camry 2.2L

Old 04-25-2010, 01:58 AM
Default Adding Horsepower to a 1994 Camry 2.2L

Hi, I am looking to increase horsepower in my car without putting a large amount of cost into it. I have right now a Cold air intake, and a exhaust, and for looks right now i have 18 inch chrome rims with 225/40ZR18 inch tires, with 20% tint and also have custom painted Calipers and Drums, I would like to put on a body kit as well but everything's shipping is insane shipping costs. . I have looked around on the net trying to find a short shifter or anything that could increase my horsepower... But seem to keep rolling into a dead end. If anyone could give me and suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by IEatMuscle69; 04-25-2010 at 02:07 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:37 AM

thanksss the best web to make more and more money www.wowlife.tk www.easymoneynow.tk

Old 05-01-2010, 03:17 PM

I am afraid I can't help you with finding more parts, but I am interested in the parts you have. Was your cold air intake a kit that you bought or something you fabricated up yourself? What is your exhaust? Is it a header and such or just a cat-back or new muffler?

Do you have any pictures of your stuff?

Old 05-02-2010, 03:41 AM

yes i do i will take some pics of my engine and Exhaust for you so you can see what you think... My exhaust sounds great, everyone thinks i have a turbo but i dont, i am really considering doing so though

Old 05-02-2010, 07:21 AM

I'll be honest, in my case I would rather it sound completely stock, which means very little sound at all. Now it may be that there is no such thing as a free flowing exhaust that is also quiet.

A friend of mine has an eagle talon turbo that has fully forged internals, new header, turbo, etc. When he bought it the car was making well over 300 all wheel horsepower. He's getting a new manifold, a bigger turbo, different cams, etc. The engine should be well capable of 600. All of that is well and good except for his muffler. Making that kind of power you can't expect it to be silent, but there would have to be a away to make it sound better.

He has a nice 3" stainless exhaust, but coupled to that is a muffler that appears to have a folgers can for a tip. Why do people do that? Do they honestly believe that putting a 6" tip on the last 3 inches of a 3" exhaust system is gonna make it perform any better? Do they think it makes it look cool? IMHO it looks ridiculous and my friend couldn't agree more. The trouble he is finding is that nobody makes a "performance" exhaust for his car that doesn't look ignorant. Apparently that crowd doesn't like it unless it has a minimum of a 6" tip.

I guess the short of it is, why do people think they need a 6" exhaust on a 2.0l making 150 hp at the flywheel when my 400hp Corvette does just fine breathing out of a pair of 2.5" pipes? And when did volume become equivalent to horsepower? My Corvette is loud as hell, but it has the stones to back it up.

I wouldn't mind adding horsepower to the toyota, but I want the sleeper look and sound. In my opinion there is nothing funnier than seeing a stock looking and sounding car kick the holy living crap out of some little hopped up car that sounds like a weedwacker.

That's why I like things like cold air intakes, cams, heads, headers. All of that stuff hides under the hood, yet if done right will make a LOT of horsepower.

That's my little rant. I am very interested in seeing what all you've got, whatever it is. Like my friend in his talon, he doesn't like the muffler but he knows he needs it to make more power.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:10 PM

I will admitt to you that im not happy with the way that my exhaust looks... It is to big yes... I will admitt to you lol... I havent cared enough to go measure it but... I went strictly for sound. It doesnt sound like a ricer.... I know exactly what you mean... Weedwacker, fartcan, i mean that stuff sounds like **** no doubt. Im looking to put on a Bolt on turbo to it cause im putting a new engine in because my old one has way to many miles on it and its taking me longer than i expected to get all the stuff together but as soon as i get it all together ill get some pics on here... I mean honestly its not alot... CAI and exhaust... but other than that its mostly looks but im just trying to figure out ways to add power without spending big bucks cause i cant afford to do it cause im paying for college straight out of my pocket.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:29 PM

Understood. I am currently unemployed so my performance budget is less than 0. Won't stop me from looking though.

The problem with these cars seems to be that they are fairly well tweaked from the factory to get the most out of them. They have to make some concessions to cost and emissions, etc, but for the most part there isn't just a ton of extra power to be had with bolt-on mods. Internal engine mods are useful, but not to the extent they are in other applications.

Example, on my Corvette I was able to install heads, cam, headers, rockers, exhaust, an electric water pump, and re-tune the PCM to pick up 110 rwhp over stock, I have the dyno graphs to prove it. Do all the same modifications to an engine that only makes ~130 hp to start with and you're dang sure not gonna pick up 110. Every little bit helps of course, but the bang for the buck just isn't there.

Turbo would certainly be the way to go to make big power quick. Looks like there is all kinds of room under the hood to work with. If I had the time, money, and the wife's approval (she wouldn't care on one of my cars, but the Toyota is to be her driver), I'd be all over it.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:33 PM

Haha i hear ya man. I mean so what should i do then? Obviously Headers... but i mean i dont know what i need to try to find to get the Hp.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:38 PM

If it were me and I wanted all the time reliable power, I would seriously research what it takes to do a turbo, or a different car. They're great cars, but let's face it, they're not race cars. If you want occasional power but you don't want to do a whole lot of modifications, nitrous is relatively cheap and easy.

Over on the Vette forums whenever somebody is asking about upgrading performance we always tell them "speed costs money, how fa$t do you want to spend, er..um go?"

Old 05-02-2010, 10:41 PM

Yea the thing is though that i think they only make a bolt on turbo for the 2.2L. Sfe engine so i mean the bolt on is almost the only option

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding Horsepower to a 1994 Camry 2.2L