New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:46 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Camry won't start

Old 01-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Default Camry won't start

I have a 2002 camry that was driven all day and when I went to go out again, it wouldn't start. There is no clicking sound, no starter turning. All electrical works fine. Any suggestions as to why all of a sudden it won't start. Is there something with the security system that might need to be reset? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

When turning the ign key to start, do the lights on the dash dim? If so, may be poor cable connections at the battery.

There is a Park/Neutral switch that disables the starter if the trans in not in one of these gears, the switch may be defective. Try putting the trans in Neutral when starting. If no response, try moving the shifter back and forth then put into to Park.

Sometimes the starter solenoid can have issues. This is a relay that connects the battery to the starter.

What type of security system, Toyota installed? If so, these typically allow the engine to turn over but not start if activated.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:23 PM

hmm, that's weird!it doesn't happen to me... can't find any reason why those thing happen if we think of what toyomoho said he got some point there... try that out and lets see if that will work.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:17 AM
Default camry won't start

After doing some troubleshooting, it seems like I'm not getting voltage to the solenoid when I turn the key on. I'm thinking it might be the ignition switch but not 100% sure. I get +12 volts to the starter relay to activate it but there is no +12 volts coming from the ignition switch. Fuses are good. Continuity from starter relay to solenoid is ok. Do ignition switches just stop working?

Old 01-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

The starter relay actually activates?

Try running 12V directly to the low voltage input of the starter solenoid. If the starter operates this will eliminate the solenoid as a problem.

There is wire connection at the ign switch of course but nothing else between the relay and ign switch.

You can unbolt the switch block from the back of the ign switch. Then inspect and if possible clean with contact cleaner or get a replacement part.

Perhaps if you removed the tumbler you could spray contact cleaner inside, then rotate the switch a number of times.

To access the ign switch are remove the upper and lower covers on the steering column.

There is typically is a hole in the side of the key cylinder body. Insert a pin into the hole with ign switch I think in the Aux position. An internet search should provide hits with more detail.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:56 AM

I put 12V to the output of the starter relay and got the car to start. After turning it off it won't start again. I don't get 12V to the input of the starter relay from the ignition switch but when I turn the key on I get continuity from the fuse that supplies the 12V to the ignition switch to theinput of the relay. This is confusing to me since the circuit seems to be ok. Any more suggestions?

Old 01-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Could be confusing.

The wiring is as follows:

The ign switch has 2 separate power wire inputs. It's two switches gained together.

The AM 1 fuse supplies power to 1 switch circuit (called AM1). When the ign key is turned to Start, power flows from the AM 1 fuse through the ign switch, through the Part/Neutral or clutch switch safety/lockout switch to the starter relay solenoid coil (might be a Black/white wire, relay terminal labeled No 1). After going through the coil power goes to ground (white/black wire, terminal No 2).

The other ign switch circuit is powered by the AM2 fuse.

When the ign key is turned to Start, power flows from the AM2 fuse through the switch (called AM2) to the switch connection (switch inside the relay) of the starter relay (might be the same color as AM1 circuit, Black/White, No 5).

Power flows through the relay switch to the small terminal on the starter solenoid (might Black/Red, No 3).

When the ign key is turned to start, The starter relay receives power from two different sources (AM1 and AM2 fuses).

If you have an ohmmeter you can detect which Black/White wire goes to the starter solenoid coil as it would have some ohm reading.

The starter relay switch circuit inside the starter relay should be open when the relay solenoid coil is not powered and have infinite resistance.

If it is the ign switch, suggest you don't just jump the two Black/White wires as the AM1 and AM2 fuses have much different amp ratings.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:28 PM

The park/neutral position switch seems to work properly as I get 12V to the starter relay coil. Its the other side of the circuit that is not providing 12V to the relay side of the starter relay. I get 12V at the AM2 fuse and from the other side of the fuse, I get continuity to the starter relay. I just don't know why there is no 12V there even though continuity is good.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:34 AM
Super Moderator

The ohm reading should be 0 or close to it.

It is possible for a circuit to have continuity but still not be able to conduct any amperage.

See link below:

http://books.google.com/books?id=3q8...page&q&f=false

Could be dirty contacts at the starter switch, sometimes the damage from electrical arcing at the contacts when opening and closing can over time cause problems with conductivity.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:32 PM

Thanks for all your help toyomoho. I'll check the wiring thru the ignition switch. Maybe its partially broken somewhere. I'll let you know when I fix it. Thanks again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camry won't start