New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

cold start oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 04:07 PM
Default cold start oil leak

Have 1998 Camry with 203K miles. Recently replaced timing belt, water pump, plugs, wires, etc., struts & linkage kits. Runs & handles great but has a pretty bad oil leak on cold startup; leak stops or almost stops after 5 minutes running (big spot first 5 min, small spot next 10 min). Run down is from just behind the oil plug, but I can't see where exactly it's originating but looking from the top, it doesn't appear it's coming from around the valve pan.
Anyone having the same problem?

Attached Thumbnails cold start oil leak-img_0456.jpg  
Old 01-18-2015, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

How is the large leak on the cardboard oriented to engine?

V6 or 4 cylinder?

What is oil plug?

Old 01-19-2015, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry I didn't provide enough info; I've since added to my signature. The engine is the 2.2L 5SFE 4-cylinder. The oil plug I made reference to is the oil drain plug at the back of the oil pan. Looking from the front with the front end of the vehicle slightly elevated, the big spot is in line with the oil drain plug and just a little toward the rear. Looking thru the passenger side wheel well, there's power steering fluid on the power steering pump but nothing I can see on the bottom of the timing belt cover.
It's definitely oil leaking; I sniffed both the power steering fluid and the leaked stuff, and there's a distinct difference.
The small spot on the cardboard is from where I rotated it 180 degrees after about 5 minutes running.
Thanks again.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Has happened the oil plug washer is bad or was left off during an oil change. Or the plug is stripped out and doesn't fully tighten or is loose.

Change cardboard. Secure car with emergency brake and block the wheels. Have someone cold start engine while someone else looks under the engine. Determine if dripping starts and then what happens. Does it stop, get worse, less, etc.

If no drips at start up then this is not caused be oil under pressure.

The PS fluid is red and smells like auto trans fluid as it is the same thing.

There are dyes that can be added to oil that glow under black light. This will allow following the trail to the leak.

Check the oil drain plug to make sure it is not loose or stripped.

Places of typically leaks:

Down back of engine caused by valve cover gasket.

Out from below the timing cover due to cam/crank/oil pump leaks. If an oil pump seal the the oil will come out fire wall side of the timing cover when the engine is running.

The oil cooler seal (behind oil filter).

Sometimes a oil pressure sensor leaks.

If the engine has distributor, the shaft seals can leak.