New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:42 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Heavy Water Leak in Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Default Heavy Water Leak in Trunk

My 89 year old mom had a 1996 Toyota Camry and she opened the trunk to day and found a lot of water in the trunk, spare wheel storage area, where the jack and tools are!

My sister removed the spare tire and removed the 2 drain plugs, so all the water could get out. The weatherstrip is in good conditon and there are no direct markings showing where the leak might be and the rear winshield glass is sealed properly!

Do any of you Camry owner's have any ideas as to what might be the cause of this water leak?

Old 10-26-2011, 06:35 PM

I have the same problem during rain with my '94 coupe. There was a conversation on this topic a few weeks back under the category of General Tech. Different sources were suggested.

The rubber seal on my trunk looks fine, but I am tossing it and replacing it.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

You might remove the trunk liner to determine if a trail of water exists to the leak.

There is a plastic storage tub on each side of the spare tire well. Pull out the drivers side and check for water. There is a vent above the well going through the side of the car that can leak (hidden by bumper).

Check the rear tail light assemblies for leakage.

Check under the gasket going around the trunk chassis for damage, water could flow under the gasket.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:30 PM

did it rain before you check the car? It might left open and the water comes in.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:31 AM

Thanks all & I'll check what's been said!!

Old 10-27-2011, 08:35 AM
Default Vent above the wheel well

Originally Posted by toyomoho
You might remove the trunk liner to determine if a trail of water exists to the leak.

There is a plastic storage tub on each side of the spare tire well. Pull out the drivers side and check for water. There is a vent above the well going through the side of the car that can leak (hidden by bumper).

Check the rear tail light assemblies for leakage.

Check under the gasket going around the trunk chassis for damage, water could flow under the gasket.
Could you be a lttle clearer about the about the location of the vent?

Old 10-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Go to the location between the drivers side tail light and side running light then drop down to the lower corner of the chassis. The outside of the vent is covered by the bumper as it wraps around this corner. The inside is hidden by the trunk liner.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:32 AM

Thanks Joey. I think that's the answer!!!

Old 04-02-2013, 02:58 AM

Had a similar issue. But everything was leaking adding to water in both wheel wells as well as the spare tire well. What I did was removed the felt/plastic panels from the trunk, removed the tail light assemblies, removed the vent which is in the drivers side wheel well. I had to use RTV to seal around the vent when I put it back in since the tabs that hold it in were not working anymore. I cleaned up the gaskets around the tail lights and re-installed them and tightened them good. I then put a small bead of RTV (not highly recommended) inside the trunk seal groove and re-installed it. To keep the Oregon rain water off of the RTV while it was curing I used packing tape to 'seal' off the gaps around the trunk lid and around the tail lights. Works fine until the RTV is cured.