New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Just got my wife's hand-me-down

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 12:31 PM
Default Just got my wife's hand-me-down

Hey Everyone,

My wife recently upgraded to a newer car and I ended up with her '98 Camry LE. Its been a nice car to drive so far and I'm pretty comfortable in it but I know I'm not going to have it forever. My big question is do ya'll think its worth putting any money in to if i'm going to be getting rid of it in the next 2-3 years?
My past car was a 2002 mazda protégé 5 and I did a little work in it (intake, exhaust, some lighting etc) and I really enjoyed putting my own little touches on it. I'm just not sure if it would end up being worth it for the Camry. Money isn't exactly raining from the skies but I have a little wiggle room with my budget.
First thoughts are maximizing the mpg since this is my daily driver. Maybe after that do some comfort mods?

Old 11-26-2015, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on your you Camry. The 1998 is a solid car and should give you good life.

If your only going to keep the car a few years and short of cash suggest sticking to basic maintenance. There's really not much you can do to increase MPG other then keep the tire pressure set correctly and tune ups.

The 4 cylinder engine is built for MPG and commuter driving. HP can not be increased without spending a lot of money.

If you want a better sound look into a CAT back exhaust. Some folks add a cold air intake but you will not see any performance gains.

Might check the condition of the trans fluid as all should be changed say every 50K to extend trans life. You can also remove and refill the PS fluid between drives until it is clear again. This will help with rack seal and pump life.