New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

New guy with 2005 Camry...248,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 01:09 PM
Default New guy with 2005 Camry...248,000 miles

Went to dealership for oil change and was presented with a repair bill of $4,000. Replace the rack due to fluid leak, 4 shocks and struts, new battery and a new drive belt. We are gonna buy a new Sienna because we need the room. Would you keep the Camry, they are only gonna give us $2,000 for it. I just put new tires on it.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

As to the car; V6 or 4-cylinder. Stick or automatic, which edition LE, XLE and any other options?

Struts can be easily tested for function and leakage where the strut rod enters the strut body. Some leakage is OK. The internet has info on this. One issue is struts are a money makers and as such the repair pushed. If you really need them go to a third party shop for cheaper repair prices. Perhaps $250 per strut or $1K.

As to the rack. If leaking this will typically be from a rubber boot at each end the rack housing. You can remove the front tire and inspect the boot for leakage. A third party shop repair is around $1K. The dealer will charge more.

Check local Craigslist for private sale prices. The cars high mileage for its year will distract from the price.

If buying a new Sienna from a dealer and trading in the old car. The dealer will try to low ball the trade in, inflate the cost of the Sienna or do both. Typically it is better to sell the car privately, perhaps to a DIYer who can make any repairs for parts cost. Assuming the car really needs repairs. Then negotiate with the dealer just for the cost of the new car.

Last edited by toyomoho; 12-21-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
As to the car; V6 or 4-cylinder. Stick or automatic, which edition LE, XLE and any other options?

Struts can be easily tested for function and leakage where the strut rod enters the strut body. Some leakage is OK. The internet has info on this. One issue is struts are a money makers and as such the repair pushed. If you really need them go to a third party shop for cheaper repair prices. Perhaps $250 per strut or $1K.

As to the rack. If leaking this will typically be from a rubber boot at each end the rack housing. You can remove the front tire and inspect the boot for leakage. A third party shop repair is around $1K. The dealer will charge more.

Check local Craigslist for private sale prices. The cars high mileage for its year will distract from the price.

If buying a new Sienna from a dealer and trading in the old car. The dealer will try to low ball the trade in, inflate the cost of the Sienna or do both. Typically it is better to sell the car privately, perhaps to a DIYer who can make any repairs for parts cost. Assuming the car really needs repairs. Then negotiate with the dealer just for the cost of the new car.
Thanks. Its a 4-cyl manual trans LE...base model no options. Yea that rack fluid is dripping out right at the boot on the left side. We notice no drips in the driveway. I am thinking I could do the rack repair myself or at very least order the rack off internent for $250 and have someone do it.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

If selling the car, the manual trans is popular among some drivers. Thus suggest selling it yourself.

If going to a shop, most want to use their own parts.

There have been a number of complaints about rack leakage on later model Camry. Rack leakage is unusual on later models, perhaps a defect. For rebuilt racks, suggest using Cordone brand last. AC Delco and ATSCO offer racks.

Monroe has a Quick-Strut for $120 each. The strut is complete with coil spring and upper mount making replacement, a remove and replace task. But if you can do the rack change, you can change the struts only.

If doing the rack yourself, take measurements of the tie rod adjustment lengths before taking things apart. Then upon installation, adjust rod length to these measurements. This will get the alignment pretty close.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
If selling the car, the manual trans is popular among some drivers. Thus suggest selling it yourself.

If going to a shop, most want to use their own parts.

There have been a number of complaints about rack leakage on later model Camry. Rack leakage is unusual on later models, perhaps a defect. For rebuilt racks, suggest using Cordone brand last. AC Delco and ATSCO offer racks.

Monroe has a Quick-Strut for $120 each. The strut is complete with coil spring and upper mount making replacement, a remove and replace task. But if you can do the rack change, you can change the struts only.

If doing the rack yourself, take measurements of the tie rod adjustment lengths before taking things apart. Then upon installation, adjust rod length to these measurements. This will get the alignment pretty close.
Ah! I made a typo. it's not a manual trans it is automatic...I guess I was thinking of my Tacoma. Sorry

Old 12-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Default 200,000 + miles

Check out this Camry. It's running over 200,000 miles but still strong. Just make sure to give it the tune-ups it needs every once in awhile.