New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Newbie 2012 Toyota Camry SE

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 10:39 PM
Smile Newbie 2012 Toyota Camry SE

WOW. I love this place, i have a 2012 toyota camry and would love some cheap but effective ways to make it more sporty as far as performance goes. Any ideas are awesome!!! I do know it wont be cheap but as i said, anything helps!!!

Old 03-03-2015, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Need more info on what your idea of performance and sporty is plus budget.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums!

Old 03-04-2015, 08:26 AM
Default Budget and "sporty"

Well, its a fun car to start off with, but as i have read many times, airflow can make a huge difference. So thats where i would like to start first. Ive already looked at some K@N filters and new air intake systems and it looks doable. The new intake system i have looked at is about $130 or so, and honestly thats fine for now. Exhaust is another thing, i dont want it to sound loud and raspy, id like it to have a lower rumble, with of course good airflow. Thats as far as ive thought about it.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:31 AM

Im going to piecemeal it together, so its not an all at once deal. But my budget is low, dont have an excact number but its not alot.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

For exhaust, look at a Magnaflow converter which is popular. See link below for the basic part. Check your car to determine your needs.

3" Magnaflow Universal 59959 Catalytic Converter High Flow Spun Metallic Cat | eBay

Check your states emission department as some states like California forbid replacing OEM emission parts with non-approved parts.

If you want more sound, remove the exhaust resonator.

Flowmaster also makes exhaust components.

YouTube may have video's of installed systems to listen to.

As to changing the intake system. The engine has a MAF sensor which will adjust the fuel/air ratio to any change in air flow. The stock system is not lacking air flow, more is not going make any difference. Don't expect an noticeable difference but the air intake may make more noise.

Might consider suspension changes and when the time comes better tires.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:15 AM

Well thanks a bunch, that saved me some serious money. What could i do to give it more torque? I have thought about a small turbo, nothing massive or expensive, just a small boost is all.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Adding a turbo would be expensive and not easy. The turbo may be reasonable in cost, but need to modify the engine, replace or add piggyback ECU plus some sensors and wiring. Then have the setup tuned. You will be blazing a trail few have followed.

If looking for performance internal engine parts try looking under Scion which has the same engine. The Scion has more mods as not a family car.

The Scion having a different body, some parts like intake may not fit under a Camry hood.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:18 AM

Yeah, i think ill just make minor mods to it right now and and buy am old honda civic as a project car later on. My camry is fine as it is but now that i know where to look it will be alot easier to find parts. Thank you very much. Any other suggestions as far as parts or anything? Like what would you upgrade in the engine for a little better performance?

Old 03-06-2015, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't waste money on an intake, they sound cool but I have never really seen any true gains, hp/mpg. They do sound pretty sweet though. I spent a lot of time looking into intakes and I came up with nothing.
I would look into TRD exhaust, I've seen some good deals on eBay for true TRD cat back systems.
You could also look into suspension...