New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Strange key on dashboard. Advised not to touch it...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 08:27 PM
Default Strange key on dashboard. Advised not to touch it...

Dear Folks:

By dumb luck, I just acquired a 1999 Toyota Camry after my 1988 Plymouth Gran Fury was totaled by a careless driver.

The Camry was well taken care of and exhibits 150,nnn miles. I have grown very fond of it in the two weeks of ownership.

Tonight, my question regards a puple key on the dashboard, by the mirror adjustments. The fellow who sold me the car did not know what it was for and he advised me to leave it alone altogether. I really would like to learn about its function.

I will try to attach a picture and I would appreciate any advice regarding the purple key. There seem to be two red lights close by.

Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails Strange key on dashboard. Advised not to touch it...-purplekey.jpg  
Old 02-21-2015, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Not a Toyota product I have ever experienced. Perhaps an aftermarket alarm.

Look under the dash for a box that doesn't look like it was factory or dealer installed. Then determine if there is any identification.

The box will most likely not be firmly mounted, perhaps held on with plastic ties, tape, etc. Non factory wiring is typically solid colors, not striped as factory.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

I wonder if it is an extra security feature that you can remove the key and cause that much more hindrance from the car being hotwired or if the keys got taken from you??

Old 02-27-2015, 12:41 AM

Gentlemen: Thank you both for your expeditious replies. When the snow cleared, I got out to the Camry and checked under the dash for "extra" stuff. Indeed, there are "electronics" installed. Seeing that, i tried the key, but nothing happened until I attempted to start the engine. With the purple key "On" and removed, the starter would not activate with the ignition key. I did not notice any alarms though.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting back.
It sounds like an extra 'key' that can be removed to further hindrance of theft.