Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Tuning questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:39 AM
Default Tuning questions

I just got a 90 Camry All-Trac, and am considering boosting it. I've been through this all before, I finished turbocharging my 90 BMW 325i this spring. I bought the Camry as a winter car so I can garage the bimmer. It's got good power, but I have a hard time leaving well enough alone.

I'm not opposed to going to a full standalone system like MegaSquirt, and I'm familiar with it as well (It's running the BMW). But, I'm wondering if there's a simpler way of going about it on these cars. I doubt that the equipped ECU can be tuned, but is there anything I can do to trick it or tweak it? Thought about an AFC Neo, but that costs just as much as a MegaSquirt & is nowhere near as powerful.

I'm trying to keep this on the cheap because I told my wife I wasn't going to sink a bunch of money into this car. In the end, I'm only looking for around 200 HP or so. The car is pretty quick as it is, but just leaves a little to be desired. I may be able to get the same effect NA by making it breathe better, but you know...boost.

Any suggestions? Maybe a headswap that breathes better, swapping the barn-door airflow meter for a MAF, stuff like that? Or should I just go straight for the kill and boost the thing to get that number?

Old 10-21-2014, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

I think that if you want to get 200 hp out of your Camry then you are going to have to boost it. Turbo or supercharge it. I have heard good things about Mega Squirt but there are others out there as well. I have heard good things about Affordable Fuel Injection (AFI) as well. I'm not sure if they make a kit for your car but the seem pretty flexible with what they do.
Good luck with the wife on this venture!