Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Best Brake Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 07:01 PM
Default Best Brake Calipers

This could just be me, but as I search through the threads on the best calipers to use, I never see anything. I see all topics concerning the best rotors, pads or the combination of the 2 but calipers are never seem to be a part of the topic. On top of my asking why this is, I would also like to know what the top 3-5 calipers are.
I would also like to know from some people that have experience in ordering parts online concerning core returns; is it worth it financially being that most sites want you to be responsible for the return shipping such as Auto Parts Warehouse? I would like to go through a cashback portal, but it doesn't seem to work out too well if you have to be responsible for the return.
It would work out if you dealt w/ a retailer such as Pep Boys, but that puts this back to the topic heading: how good are calipers (ProStop) from them, Autozone,etc?
Maybe this should have been put in the brake section.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Performance or replacement?

Try online sites such as Rockauto or Parksgeek for a selection of name brand parts.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:15 AM

Hello and thanks for replying.
Respectfully, I'm already currently dealing with them. This is what brings me to my main question: are all name brand calipers created equal such as rotors or brake pads are not? What are the Top 3-5 aftermarket brands and what brands are there to avoid?
Every now and then I will hear people talking about Centric Semi Loaded/Posi Quiet. I never here much about Beck/Arnley yet they cost more. I've read about Advics, which only seem to come new but price the same as Centric Posi-Quiet if not much less. I just found them for $150.
A-1 Cardone, where do they and Raybestos fit in as compared to ProStop or Duralast?

Old 03-11-2016, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

What year of Camry and engine type?

Determine if the part is new or rebuilt as this can effect the cost.

Beck/Arnley is well known. They buy and resale decent parts from manufacturers.

Raybestos is also well known.

Duralast is Autozone's house brand, Prostop is Pep Boys. Unless forced to I stay away from house brands.

A-1 Cardone is hit or miss. Some good parts, others not so good.

If a rebuilt caliper is all that is available might buy a repair kit and do it yourself. You will need a cylinder hone. The issue is you will know what you have.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:15 PM

Just got back an hour ago from searching and picking up parts. I forgot to let you know that this is a replacement for a "2007 Camry LE 2.4 Auto Gas US built".
I talked to my Sears guy who used to work at Pep Boys and said that he too would never use ProStop/Raybestos. He never heard of Centric but made some calls w/ no luck. He said that they must be an online only thing (correct).
The only neighborhood auto store nearby couldn't locate them either but can get the Advics ($150 each). They wanted to offer the A-1 Cardone but said that he realized I knew my parts so he didn't push it. To you, Camry Forum and ToyotaNation (no disrespect) I give my thanks and respect for this.
Apparently not too many know about Centric, Beck/Arnley or Advics. I'm glad that you cleared up a good part of this from the above.

Last edited by mommafrica; 03-11-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

I've heard good things about Centric and I have used them in the past but not on my Camry.
Another question for you, how do you know your calipers are bad?
I had a 'stuck' front caliper that ended up going down to metal on metal. The caliper was fine but the caliper bolts needed to be lubed, to allow the caliper to release properly.
I purchased a new set of front rotors and pads from Brakemotive on eBay, lubed up the caliper slide bolts and I was good to go.
Let us know how things go.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:24 AM

When my mechanic was changing all 4 rotors (Brembo via Tire Rack) and pads (Hawks), the front driver side caliber was not only popped out or was already out, but the rubber inside was chewed up and the rest of the hardware was bad. I and/we decided to change both sides.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Ouch, that's pretty bad!

Old 03-13-2016, 10:45 AM

Exactly! And what makes it worse is that I asked him to give a thorough check beforehand so that I would have all of the "especially necessary" parts from Day 1.
I don't like putting on rotors and pads when I know that calipers are needed as well b/c of the pads. I feel real uncomfortable when certain necessary parts that are supposed to be together are not (LOL). That being said, its been some years since I've had to deal w/ calipers (Blessed).
At the moment I'm considering getting the Advics, but is it actually worth it? I've never ordered online before for a part that required a core return, such as I would have to for the Centric's. With them I would have to pay for return shipping. I'm not sure if this is worth the time/money especially if I were sent the wrong part.
But on Rock Auto they are only $36.79/each ($70 core) for the front. They say to contact them for their discount rates on shipping returns. They even charge you for the return labels.
Curiously, have you had any experience w/ these things?

Old 03-13-2016, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Read the core return policy at the Rockauto site.

You need to decide if the lower price outweighs the core return shipping charges.

Parts need to be returned in the same box as sent. Make sure all fluids are removed and put the part in a plastic bag to keep any remaining fluid from leaking out. The shipper will not forward a leaking box.

The core charge will charged to your payment method account (credit card, etc). Then refunded once the part is received in a rebuildable condition meaning just worn out not damaged beyond repair.

Search the internet for 5% of rockauto discount codes which are common.

Have been doing business with Rockauto for years without issues.

Quick Reply: Best Brake Calipers