Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

2007 Strut Leak at 42k miles

Old 01-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Default 2007 Strut Leak at 42k miles

Not certain how to start...I took my 2007 Camry (with approx 42k miles to the dealer service department) in for it's oil change, tire rotate/balance, then talked me into the 30k service& asked them to double check the rear because it seemed like I had a little extra bumpiness there. I had to leave it overnight because the tire guys had wrapped up for day and they were not able to do the full service as requested. So, I get the call Saturday morning (here's part of the frustation)- I am told that I need rearbrake pads, 2 rear tires (I knew that was coming since I just replace the other 2 a few months ago) and that 3 of my 4 struts are leaking! I panicked and asked if they were certain that was the problem, then how much does that cost & how long does that take & what happens if I don't repair them, can I go somewhere else for them, etc.?? I was told "that it happens but not often and could be defective parts..." Oh great -just what I wanted to hear.

The Service Manager wanted me to stay in the loaner the weekend until Monday, when they could talk to a Toyota Manager about helping out with the costs of replacing the struts since I just passed the 36k/3yr Factory Warranty & I don't have any extended warranty (that I knew of); seeing if they could do anything. Well, the Service Manager came back to me today late morning and said that "Toyota will cover 50% of the cost" & he quoted me the regular price for replacing all 4 struts, as stated 'sincewe replace them in pairs' to be $1492 but since Toyota could help with 50% then my cost would be $746! Are you kidding me - that's most likely without labor fees or any other parts & fees, etc. right?!

Should I have to pay at all? It's a 2007 with approx 42k miles on it & I'm driving in and around Dallas/Garland/Richardson/Plano,Texas -not a bad driver at all, heck,I get a bonus check for safe driving from insurance....I know I'm not having them replaceanything today! I intend to write a letter to the Toyota Managers asking for the dealer to cover all costs (if indeed I have to replace all 4 struts) and I've research other places for struts (not much price difference, other than the KYB online ones, but I'm female and unlikely going to DIY), then I have checked for recalls, I've asked a few people and they are shocked to hear about the repair/replacement (stating that 'something is wrong, that doesn't seem correct')- - - What else do I do? How long can I drive with leaking struts, if they are leaking? Can I ask the service people to show me exactly what they are talking about (show me the leak!)when I go pickup the car?? Oh, I will try the garage drip test when I pick the car up tonight -although my garage is always dry -no leaks that I can recall, no stains, etc.(other than other people working on their cars) Help, please. Thank you!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2007 Strut Leak at 42k miles

Don't panic as the suspension will not fall apart on you. Not being able to view the struts in person or talk to the dealer I can only speculate.

It is unusual for a strut to leak and highly unusual for 3 out of 4 struts on the same car to leak. And more unusual given the low amount of miles on this car.

Do this test. You or someone else push down on the front suspension to get it oscillating as much as possible then release. If the car stops bouncing within 2 cycles the struts are working OK. Do the same for the rear. You will know when the struts are bad when the chassis does not stop oscillating rapidly. The struts dampen spring oscillation, without them the chassis would keep oscillating after going over bumps.

Have someone remove the tires one at a time and look at the upper part of the strut. The rear strut looks like the photo at the link below the front are almost the same.

http://info.rockauto.com/KYB/Detail.html?334388.jpg

Follow the shiny chrome rod down to the silver painted body area of the strut. If leaking it would be where the rod goes into the body. The inside of the strut is filled with fluid.

The struts rarely drip oil as in onto the floor, they can weep oil. Toyota states it is OK to have a very,very. very slight amount of oil seepage (almost a very thin film of oil) in the area from where rod goes into the body and 2-3 inches below this on the outside of the strut

This film attracts dirt thus there can be grime in this area. Kind of like the grime buildup on a kitchen stove hood from grease evaporating and dust.

KYB replacement struts would be about $80 each side for the front and $100 each side for the rear if buying by mail order. Mail order would be cheaper then a shop would sell them so keep this in mind. This is also only the part price not labor.

Woud assume the $746 quote is inclusive of labor as the $1492 price is about right for a strut change at a Toyota dealer. If parts only they are charging way too much.

The dealer has a lot of leeway in what they can do for a customer. If the dealer wanted to they could replace all the struts under goodwill. Dealers set aside funds to cover repairs for customers they want to keep happy. Unless your a great repeat customer doubt if you will do better then 1/2 off. I am a little surprised the dealer is offering a deal and not asking full price.

Strongly suggest you exhaust all efforts in working with the dealer first. If you go over their heads the result can be alienating them. The issue is you are beyond the warranty period and Toyota and the dealer are not obligated to do anything for your.

If you go over the dealers head and complain they may be less likely to help you. As you can figure out, the dealer has a lot of leeway and power.

A few more thoughts.

If you have know someone or perhaps a friend who is a trusted mechanic ask them to look at the struts. I say trusted because premature strut replacement is a common tactic of repair shops to increase income. Struts do wear out but the result in most all cases is they just get more bouncy, for lack of a better term. A worn strut can no longer damped the springs.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:01 PM

toyomoho - thank you very much for the information, everything was helpful & much appreciated!! I actually went back to Toyota after speaking to a few friends of friends within the car business and raised a little stink about the situation, thenlow and behold - all was approved and totally paid for by Toyota on the replacement of all 4 struts! It took a little bit but it was nice that the sales and service managers, etc. understood and did what they could to help the customer. Thanks again!

Old 01-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Glad things worked out for you!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Exclamation another 2007 Camry with leaking struts

Just took my 2007 Camry in for service and was told I have 3 leaking struts at 48,000 K. Fortunately they will replace them under warranty but I have to pay for the wheel alignment. Just want to warn people to get their struts checks before there warranty expires!!

Old 07-31-2009, 09:44 PM

really that many problems with the struts............. I thought our cars had a 48,000 5 year warranty...... is it only 3yrs?

Old 09-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Default Strut problems covered under Toyota Platinum 100K warranty?

This sounds exactly like what's going on with my 2007 Camry LE. At 60K, I was told I had leaking struts at a reliable tire dealer in Pasadena. When I brought it into my dealership for the 60K Service, I was also told 3 struts were leaking, and that the dealership was aware of this and had been watching. I'd need the $1500 service to fix it around the time of my next major service.

My question: I have the Platinum 100K extended warranty. Should this be covered?

Old 12-29-2009, 12:42 PM

i have a 2007 camry and i have the same problem. i took my car to the dealership with approximately 55k miles on it. the dealership said that my front 2 struts were leaking and i need new struts and it would cost $815. i decided to take my car to my friend's mechanic and he checked my car and told me that all 4 of my struts are leaking and he said that he is aware of the struts problem. he said he was actually surprised that my struts started to leak at 55k miles because apparently a lot of the other camry's struts started to leak around 40k miles. my friend's mechanic said that since mine just started to leak, he wouldn't recommend me to do it now because it's a waste of money and it's pointless. he said that i can actually drive my car until it gets bouncy and ususally it takes a year or so to leak a lot. is there a way to complain about this problem since a lot of people are having struts leakage?

Old 12-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Toyota has a customer service center. An internet search should turn up the phone number. You can call and file a complaint.

But first, as stated in previous posts the dealer has a lot of leeway to make goodwill repairs (repairs either free or at reduced cost).

If you are an ongoing customer who has their car serviced at the dealer or has purchased previous cars from the dealer you odds are better at getting the dealer to make repairs under goodwill. But even if not you can still ask. If you get no satisfaction ask to speak to the dealership owner or Toyota district representative (or whoever monitors the dealers for that area).

Best to keep a civil attitude as dealers appear to be under no obligation to do any work on someones car even if still under warranty.

It is not unusual for the strut to "leak" at little at the upper portion of the strut body where the strut rod comes out and leave a very slight oil film that attracts dust.

Toyota has a TSB that covers this situation inspecting the struts and what leakage is acceptable.

After market struts are less expensive, if you are going to do the work have a third party shop take care of it.

As you mechanic friend stated the suspension will just get a little more springy over time. You can start testing the suspension now buy pushing up and down on the front of the car body to get it to oscillate. Once released, the oscillation should stop in under 1 and 1/2 cycles.

It is unfortunate Toyota continues (in my opinion) to alienate customers in what obviously is a poorly designed or faulty manufactured part(s). Then attempt to charge full price for repairs. As you may know Toyota's quality image has dropped over the years along with their profits.

Myself if an ongoing customer or had purchased more then one car from this dealer and failed to get any support would take my business elsewhere. Perhaps finding a good third party shop.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:52 PM

Mine is 2007 Camry and I bought it as a new in Dec., 2006.

After 3 years and 2 days and several hours and 24900 miles, two struts showed severe leakage. I think mine may be the worst struts in the world.

This was found from a local car center when I visited the local car center near my office to find the sharp metal noise from rear brakes, without fee.

One from front right and the other one from rear left. The leakge level is severe and needed to exchange two struts which were confirmed by Toyota Dealer. The local car center I visited recommended to change all 4 struts for balancing and making same left and right side.

No warranty because I passed "2 days and several hours". I am worrying about the other two struts when they leak.

After asking to Toyota Customer Center, they said they can reimburse only $500 even it takes $2232 ($2072 to replace +$ 160 for alignment in a Toyota Dealer, in Irvine, CA) to change 4 struts. Is this normal price at a Toyota Dealer?

I am not still happy about the action from TOYOTA CUSTOMER CENTER and still under....

No Recall from TOYOTA for these struts?

If you have similar issues, share yours and send email.

Happy New Year!

Last edited by Wesley; 01-06-2010 at 02:20 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Strut Leak at 42k miles