Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension
Print Wikipost

2002 Camry Strut Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Default 2002 Camry Strut Assembly

Hi all, this is my first post. The car in question is a

2002 Camry XLE
4 Cyl, Automatic
Approx 90K miles

I don't own the Camry (I have my own less boring automotive toys )... my parents do. My dad contacted me today to see if I wanted to replace the struts for him, and to see if I could find him some good prices on the components.

I managed to find: Struts (Monroe), Strut Mounts (Moog F, Sachs R), and Springs (AC Delco IIRC) for a total of $845 for all 4 corners. Is this a good price? Are there any components I am missing? (I've had some vehicles that have struts with more than those 3 components - Subaru Impreza for example)

Does anyone know of a place I can purchase a fully assembled strut (assembly)? I'd much rather do that, because it would make my life a whole lot easier. I don't want to break out the spring compressor if I don't have to.

Finally... is it common for rear strut mounts to go bad? My parents live on a gravel road (that is very bumpy during the winter months) and the right rear strut has begun to make a knocking noise that sounds exactly like a bad strut mount. The car has ~90k miles on it.

Thanks all,
Travis

Old 03-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Greetings Tavis:

Monroe sells a complete strut/spring/mount unit called a Quick Strut.

http://www.monroe.com/products/quickstrut.asp

A bad strut by itself will not typically make a knocking noise on this model car.

The much more likely issue is a worn upper strut mount, stabilizer bushing (sway bar) or stabilizer end link (connects the bar to the suspension knuckle. All of this issues are very common on this model.

Have someone drive the car while you ride in the back seat and listen for the knocking noise. The upper strut mounts are outboard of the rear deck speakers (if you have them) and just below the rear deck having the speakers.

The link is behind the tire (1 each side), the bushings (2) are under the chassis.

All can make this noise.

If a mount, Toyota brand and aftermarket parts are available, price $50-80 depending on brand. Bushings under $20 a pair, links around $30.

Just to make sure check the struts for fluid leakage where the upper rod goes into the body.

The struts themselves should last a long time.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Monroe sells a complete strut/spring/mount unit called a Quick Strut.

http://www.monroe.com/products/quickstrut.asp
I'm very aware of the product, but what I want to know is where can I buy it? Do they even make Quick Struts for an '02 Camry? I went through their online catalog, and it lists parts individually, but I see no Quick Strut.

Originally Posted by toyomoho
A bad strut by itself will not typically make a knocking noise on this model car.

The much more likely issue is a worn upper strut mount, stabilizer bushing (sway bar) or stabilizer end link (connects the bar to the suspension knuckle. All of this issues are very common on this model.

Have someone drive the car while you ride in the back seat and listen for the knocking noise. The upper strut mounts are outboard of the rear deck speakers (if you have them) and just below the rear deck having the speakers.
I'm very aware that it is likely the strut mount (hence my above post). The reason I asked about quick-struts is if I was going to go in there to replace the strut mount, I may as well replace the whole strut assembly-so long as the prices aren't bad. Being a foreign car, prices are much more expensive than I am used to, so I'll let my parents weigh the options. I will check the swaybar end-links and bushings next time I get a chance.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Your right it looks these shocks are not available for this year.

Your only alternative appears to be expensive coil over struts that come as a complete unit.

Bob Bridge Toyota in Wash.state offers very good discounts on Toyota parts.

www.1sttoyotaparts.com

1-888-271-3948

If in the future you are looking for parts try the website rockauto. They have a good prices on aftermarket parts although they seem strangely lacking in the strut selection for this year.

After market strut only should run about $50-70, Toyota brand would be more expensive.

If wanting to take apart the strut assy a low cost spring compressor can be purchased from places like Habor Freight. Or rent one.

Quick Struts for older Camry are around $210 at rockauto.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:32 PM

The parts quote above came from Rockauto. I own a spring compressor, so that's a non-issue.

Thanks.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

If the strut mount is the problem, the cheapest way it to just replace the mount.

This is a common issue on Camry.